Milkshakes and Heartaches

So this will be set between 2x06 and 2x14 and in case you're confused Toni will be dating Veronica and Josie will be dating Cheryl. Drama unfolds, so stay tuned.

Word Count: 2306

Toni's Perspective:

I first saw her at the drag race. Decked up in a black blouse and pencil skirt, raven hair making her stand out. She practically dripped confidence and seduction,and I found myself glancing at her more than once whilst waiting to start, and the few times our eyes met made butterflies erupt in my stomach. I made a mental note to ask Jug her name and number, though he didn't seem too happy to do so. Maybe they had a history? Who knows.

I never mustered up the courage to call, but I would stare at the 8 letters in my phone and wish for us to meet again, and maybe this time hear her name out loud and pretend I didn't know it already.

Maybe someone listened to my prayers, or maybe my suspicions about the mayor hating us were confirmed, but our school was closed down. For good. Now I finally had the opportunity to make something of myself, to get out of Riverdale once and for all, and away from my Uncle and the soup can he calls a trailer. That school was my only chance to do that. And that school was where I truly met her for the first time.

"Stand down, Eva Peron" I heard a voice call from in front of me. A redhead, surrounded on all sides with jocks and cheerleaders, was descending down the stairs as if she owned the place. I vaguely remembered her from the drag race, as well as remembering checking her out. I mean, can you blame me? I guess I should've known she would be Queen Bee. I tried not to look too long and glanced at Veronica again, who rolled her eyes in annoyance before speaking.

"Cheryl" Those two syllables wrapped around her tongue so nicel- stop thinking like that, I thought to myself. "No-one invited fascist barbie to the party" I smirked at that and looked down quickly. I knew I liked her I thought.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, two months after that day we were happily together, and out and proud. In that time I'd gotten her to help me with homework and my photography, and in return joined the river vixens. Of course, Cheryl didn't let me in that easily. It took a makeout with Veronica and playful flirting to convince her, though she seemed more intimidated than anything. Huh. I'll have to file that away for later.

"Hey Toni" I heard a cheerful voice behind me call, snapping me out of my thoughts. Betty. She hasn't spoken to me in a while, not since the whole kiss with Jughead thing, but she no longer gives me death stares in the hallways now. Progress I suppose.

"Hey Betty, what do you need?" I asked curiously, not knowing if she was being genuine. Her easy smile told me she was, and I broke into one of my own.

"I was wondering, have you seen Veronica? She said she would be at vixen practice but she hasn't shown up yet" she questioned, obviously concerned.
"Come to think of it, why aren't you at vixen practice?"

"Distracted by thoughts I guess" I dismissed, and before she could grill me on what I was thinking about I added, "And no, I haven't seen her since biology" She nodded her head quickly, her lip disappearing between her teeth in what I guess was nervous habit.

"I'm probably overthinking things, I tend to do that sometimes. Anyways, walk with me to practice?" She smiled at me hopefully, maybe hoping to relieve some of the remaining tension between us. I smiled at her nervousness and nodded, walking with her as we chatted. I was just very glad she was no longer holding a grudge against me, and we could move past it. I had just opened my mouth to speak when the door of the locker room swung open and a voice said, "Hey Betty, have you seen my girlfri-"Cheryl. She cut herself off when she saw me standing there.