Outcast

My computer won't let me upload the pics, but I had the set of the mermaids, the pirate ship, and the pirates. The external link takes you to one of these pics, and one is on the side, but I used all three.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------     

          I should have never left. Looking back, that was probably the most stupid decision I ever made. But I was young, adventurous, and determined to disappoint my father. That’s why I boarded the ship, that’s why I broke every rule a princess should ever follow.

               What did I do? I became a pirate.

               I know what you’re thinking: A princess became a peg-leg with a talking parrot?

               Not quite. I fell in with some more reputable pirates, who hunted the Endless Sea for Mer. They only took me because I was part Mer. My father had fallen in love with a Mer while on a sea voyage. I’m not quite sure how he fell in love with a green skinned, purple-eyed human-eating fish-woman, but it happened. Well, a few months later a cradle floats up to the castle harbor, and guess what’s inside. Right, me. I never fit in as a child, I guess my greenish skin and purple eyes might have been a little off putting. At least I didn’t have a tail.

               At first they treated me like a princess, in other words, they despised me. But I could hold my own, so after another ship attacked ours, and I killed my first enemy they kind of accepted me.

               Finally, we reached the Cove.

               “Captain! We’ve arrived!” I shouted from the crow’s nest, folding my telescope into the wide pocket of my gown. I jumped off the crow’s nest and free fell before catching onto the rope and lowering myself down hand over hand. Okay, so I was a bit of a show-off.

               “Did ya get a look at dem?” A burly pirate, Tom, smoking something green and putrid smelling as usual sauntered up to me.

               “Yep. They look like fish-people.”

               “They look like you.” I scowled at him.

               “What, beautiful, talented, and excellent fighters?” Now it was his turn to scowl. Most of the pirates thought it was indecent for me to be here. I didn’t care. I would have done anything to get away from the palace. The King, my father, hated me. I reminded him of his Mistake, I guessed, because he never let me out of his sight.

               “Stow yer gab!” The captain strode over and grabbed the telescope. He grinned at the sight of the cove, and the green Mer sunning themselves cockily on the rocks.

               “Get yer swords ready.” I pulled my knife from my belt, but the Captain stopped it.

               “Not you. You must watch the ship.”

               “But sir—“

               “No, Maggie. This is too soon for you to be going into the fight.” The way he twisted his mouth alerted me to the fact he was lying.

               “That’s not the reason. What is it? You think I’m too weak to handle myself with the Mer? You think I’m loyal to them!?” My voice rose to an indignant yell. I was sick of being discriminated just for being half-Mer. I looked almost human, I had no gills or fins or anything, but everyone seem too wary about letting me near the Mer.