Chapter 3

Hastily, I searched and searched for the man with the mustache. But, to my dismay, he was harder to find than I imagined. It was like you could only see him when he wanted to be seen. I just wanted some answers from him. I wanted to know if my assumption was correct. But, there were a couple problems that came along with that. One being that I couldn't even find the guy. Two being that I can't speak. Three being that I'm not even sure I want his answer.

What if I was wrong and it turned out I was just stuck here. Stuck here and occasionally thrown some memories of the life I wish I could have back. It didn't seem fair that I was put here with no explanation.

I feel even lonelier than I did before.

It was a good thing I didn't have epilepsies because these flashing lights were very bold. In normal times I would find myself getting a major headache from them. I guess here physical pain didn't come easy. So far, at least.

There were less people in the room I found myself in. The room was a lot more different compared to the others I searched through. Maybe because it wasn't as dark as the others. The walls were white and littered with pictures it seemed were taken when someone went on a road trip. There was a couple sitting on the suede couch and a couple other randoms.

I sighed heavily as I slid down the wall, stretching one leg out and tucked the other to my chest. I was so confused. So lost. My body was tired , probably from wandering around this place for so long. It seemed like it never ended. Every door opened up to a new room and each room was bigger than the one before.

I wanted to speak to someone. It feels like I don't even remember what my own voice sounds like. I don't get how all of these people seemed to be so happy. How can you be happy when you can't even communicate with others.

Communication.

I need some of that. It was almost refreshing when I came across Aleks. The memory, despite it's hurtfulness, really cooled me down. But, I was starting to lose my grip. I need human communication.

I hate this.

I'm surrounded by so many but I feel so lonely.

-----

Startling me, someone leaned down in front of me, their hands on my shoulders, beckoning for me to stand up. I knew who she was right away. She was in the memory I had not to long ago.

Karolina.

The smile on her face almost made me feel safe but I pulled myself back remembering how she had laughed at me in the memory.

As I stood up she grabbed my wrist and started to lead me out of the room. I hoped this would lead me to another memory so I didn't hesitate to follow after her.

She never lost that huge grin that was plastered over her face. It almost creeped me out the way she looked so still. Her hair used to sway with her as she walked but now it's stick straight and looks as if it was glued together.

She abruptly stopped walking and blocked my path of motion.

I furrowed my eyebrows and scanned her face for an explanation. Her face didn't change. Happy and manikin like as ever. Oddly, I was struck with fear. She seemed so scary right now. It felt like one of those horror movies where the lady behind the desk is too nice and fake and ends up being the one who shoves the knife in your back.

Karolina let go of my wrist and I quickly grabbed it to rub the pain away. She was holding onto my wrist as if her life depended on it.

She was leading me somewhere. I'm not sure where, but I was so god damn curious. All I really wanted was to find all my memories and get an explanation and if following her was going to help with that then I would follow her.