Chapter 2. In Which the Chocolate Icecream Incident Happens

'$10 is more than enough to pay for two icecreams.'said Violet and Robbie's mum, Annie. 'But what about Abbey?' 'Well then $10 is enough for three icecreams.' 'But it's nooooot.'whined Vi. 'Would you rather not have an icecream? Just get some less expensive ones for goodness sake.' 'Of course we want icecreams, thank you mum, you're the best!'chorused Violet and Robbie's in practised unison.

'See ya mum.'was called out as the kids ran out the door.

They walked to the corner and from there witnessed Abbey running helter skelter down the sidewalk to meet them.

The three of them proceeded to walk down the block and to the milk bar on the corner opposite the park.

As they entered the milk bar, the bell on the door chimed in that loud way that only milk bar doors can do.

'Kids, what would you like today?'asked the woman at the counter, Suzie, who knew them as regulars, as they often came down here to spend their pocket money on weekends.

'As the girls and Robbie's muttered to themselves, arguing over the nicest cheapest thing. Suzie thought to herself about when her kids were that age, before they became all grow up and moved out, leaving her and her husband Mitch to run the business themselves.

Her thoughts were interrupted as the kids came up to the counter having decided on three chocolate icecreams as their final purchase.

'Thanks Suzie.'was called out as the bell chimed and the door swung shut.

But when Abbey, Violet and Robbie's turned around to walk to the park to eat their icecreams, they saw the most horrific sight possible.

It was the Vermen twins and their two other friends. Violet hated the Vermen twins. They were in her and Abbey's class at school, and they were simply awful people. They intimidated the younger kids and made rude jokes and vandalised school property.

Also, they lived in the next street and had a rivalry with Violet, Robbie, Abbey and the rest of the kids that lived on their street. Every year, on Boxing Day, the kids from the different streets had a huge competition of different sports to see who would take out the title of the Best Street.

The kids participated in five sports, sprinting, which Abbey always won, soccer, which was quite an even event, throwing, seeing who could hit the stack of cans from furthest away, basketball, on the side of the street with Violet and Robbie's backboard, and lastly, the most important event, cricket, which was the one that they trained all year for.

Sophie and Mike Vermen were twins who looked completely different. Sophie was small, dark and petite with a venomous personality, whereas Mike was huge, blonde and brutish with a dull personality.

Violet hated Sophie, so much that if they passed each other in public they would glare at each other and stalk past.

Knowing this, when Sophie turned around and saw Violet she smirked and whispered something very loudly to Mike. 'Hey Mikey, I thought I saw some trash on the ground over there. You should go pick it up... Wait no, doesn't matter it's just Violet and Robbie, and their loser friend Abbey, who can't even get new clothes.'

This infuriated Violet so much that she said to Abbey 'Give me your icecream,' and when Abbey protested she whispered, barely containing her anger 'Give me the ice cream Abbey, I mean it.' and, taking the icecreams strode over to where Sophie, Mike and their friend Georgie stood and shoved them right down Sophie's designer top causing Sophie to shriek and squirm.

'I will get you for this Palsby. Just you wait...'fumed Sophie as she tried to wipe the sticky brown mess off of her.

'I know Soph, I know...'smiled Violet calmly before turning around and walking back home calling out 'Come on guys, there's no reason for us to stick around here.'

As the three of them were walking off Abbey whispered savagely to Violet, 'You owe me an ice cream now.'