Moving in

"Ok I really have to go back to LA for my business meeting so this is the last apartment we look at together ok?" I tried to look like that comment made me sad but it didn't.

After my mom died my father threw himself into his work. Spending all his time on business instead of me. I got used to it though. I was alone a lot.

My father thought that money  could replace love.

I couldn't help glancing at the small green landlady. She had whiskers and blonde greasy hair. She wore glasses since usually trolls didn't have 20/20 vision. I noticed warts and small scars that looked self-inflicted covering her arms before she pulled her oversized hoodie over them and scowled at me. 

This apartment was a good size. The landlady showed us two bed rooms, one bathroom, a large living room space with open windows, and a nice marble top kitchen.

In other words: it was perfect.

I looked around the apartment again in-visioning how I would decorate it. Maybe some posters of my favorite bands there. And some cute throw pillows on that couch.

"I love it."

"A little small don't you think?" I ignored my dad's comment as he called someone to bring my suitcase upstairs. I started to explore. One bedroom was clean and hadn't been touched. The other bedroom was slightly lived in with a black suitcase placed in the corner and books on the desk.

"Does someone else live here?"

The landlady peaked her head around the corner. "Yes actually but they're a college student as well." I looked around the room again. By the way it was neat and tidy I came to the conclusion that it was a girl.

"Well then I guess that's ok."

A few minutes of exploring later I came back into the living room to catch my father absentmindedly signing papers while on a phone call. The landlady gathered up the papers and turned to me.

"Well I guess I'll leave you to packing the." I thought back to her scars and gave her the warmest smile I could muster up.

"Thank you so much. You've made my day." I saw the slightest smile on her face before she turned and walked out the door.

"I should go to. Business." I nodded my head at my dad. "I'll get someone to bring your boxes here." He kissed me on the cheek and walked out, still on the phone.

                                          ()(

About an hour and a half later I heard the door click open. There was a brief moment of fear before I remembered about my roommate. She's here! I jogged out of my room excitedly and bumped into a wall. How did that even get there? I stepped back and noticed that it wasn't a wall.

My eyes widened as I looked up at a toned scruffy face. He was about a head taller then me. He looked down at me, amused. "Who are you?" I took another step back and crossed my arms.

"Everest."

"Like the mountain?" I said dumbly. He rolled his eyes.

"Sure." We stared at each other for a brief moment before I came to my senses.

"Are you my roommates boyfriend." He shook his head. "Brother?" Nope. "Cousin?" No again. "So who are you?"

"I'm your roommate." Oh no.

"No no no I have a girl roommate," I started to ramble. "I have a girl roommate because her room is neat and nice and not a boy room so who the hell are you and why are you in my apartment?" He stopped me with a finger to my lips.