006 | helpline

the next morning was different

the next morning was different. kinda. instead of waking up to her alarm, arizona woke up to a text. and no, not from peter, but from josh. she sprung out of bed, the time on her phone showing that not only was it 7:30, but that she had pressed her snooze button about four times already.

joshie sands
hey, can you pick me up today?
my car kinda, maybe, broke down
and uh i dont think lara jean can drive me

state-of-america brooks
yeah no ofc i can
i just kinda, maybe, overslept?
so i'm in the midst of brushing my teeth rn
but i'll see you in like 20? is that good?

joshie sands
yeah it's fine
see you then

arizona quickly got dressed and grabbed her backpack from the kitchen, along with a coffee that her dad had left behind for her before heading out the door. and then coming back in to get the keys so she can lock the door of her house and get into her jeep.

as she walked out, now with everything with her, she noticed peter doing the same. but, why was peter out so early? arizona was going to pick up josh, so she had to go early. what about peter?

"hey, petey," arizona crinkled her eyes up as the sun shone down on her, "whatcha doing?"

peter looked up from his phone and waved at the girl, "picking up lara jean and kitty for school. what about you, z?"

"josh," she put her bag in the back, "i'm picking him up. his car broke down and he said that lara couldn't pick him up and i'm guessing it's because of this?"

and the letter, she thought.

peter let out an awkward laugh, "ahah yeah," he got into his car, starting it before pulling out of his driveway, "let's see who gets there first. bye arizona!"

arizona let out a laugh as she watched his retreating car, she missed him. a lot. it was weird.

as expected, peter's uncalled-for headstart allowed for him to not only get to the houses first, but to also leave and get to school first.

"so," josh started, "peter and lara jean, huh?"

arizona kissed her teeth, nodding her head slowly, "yeah," she looked back at josh with a minuscule, forced smile, "i guess so."

AUTHOR'S NOTE
sorry, this one's shorter
than usual. idk what i was writing,
tbh. felt like a filler.
-h