11: The Fairy Realm

"I can't believe I'm actually doing this." Kendra confessed.

Bracken squeezed her hand. "There's nothing to worry about."

"Yes, just travelling into the fairy realm. No big deal."

Bracken tilted his head. "Are you being sarcastic, or are you trying to reassure yourself?"

"A bit of both." Kendra admitted, composing herself. She was getting an amused look off both Bracken and his new shadow, Eyoven, who hadn't left his side since he collapsed, and certainly wasn't about to now that they were venturing near where Warren, Vanessa and Mara had been attacked.

Kendra had had no clue where they were heading to, but after a while on a familiar route she had a safe guess. It was confirmed when they arrived at the shining white gazebo, now as quiet as it had been when Kendra first saw it.

“We can go into the fairy kingdom from here?” Kendra asked, amazed. "I thought the shrine was destroyed!"

“It was a secret until you said that.” Bracken said,  wincing and glancing around.

“Sorry."

“It’s all right. Let’s go.” Bracken and Eyoven led the way into the gazebo's main attraction: the shrine that the Fairy Queen herself had destroyed to help them rid Fablehaven of the plague. Kendra hadn't seen it since then, but now it was whole again, and more beautiful than ever.

What hadn't changed, however, were the naiads in the pond. Kendra looked down at the water's surface cautiously, knowing its peaceful ripples disguised some extremely mischievous and fairly aggressive creatures.

"We'll be safe with Bracken." Eyoven assured her, correctly interpreting her worried look. "They owe it to the Queen not to drown her favourite son."

They took the boat across, and, as Eyoven had predicted, the naiads gave them no trouble. Once they reached the small island in the centre of the pond Kendra felt drawn to the shrine. Its power hummed in the air like a familiar song.

"Ready?" Bracken asked quietly. Kendra nodded. He hesitated for a second before taking her hand. Her cheeks grew hot and she hoped fervently that Seth had left or wasn’t spying on them with his invisibility glove or shadewalking abilities. Bracken’s hand was warm and his grip pleasantly reassuring. She hoped it didn’t show on her face

Before them, a bright jagged line sliced the air and grew into a shimmering portal. Kendra could see glimpses of a shining city and willowy trees, exactly as she had imagined. “It looks incredible.” She breathed.

Bracken smiled and squeezed her hand, obviously pleased she hadn’t rejected the motion. “Wait until you actually get there.” And together, they stepped through the portal.

Kendra had imagined it would be similar to the feeling of using the Translocator, one of the five magical artifacts that had until recently been a key to the demon prison, Zzyzx. But it was nothing like that. It felt as though she was being compressed into a tiny space, all the air pressed out of her lungs. Everything was dark for that second. And then brilliant brightness slashed through the darkness, and the towers of the fairy kingdom appeared.

*

Kendra involuntarily caught her breath. The whole place seemed to shine with a magical energy. The initial glow faded from her vision, but the city retained the light it emanated. It was the place from Kendra’s dreams. In the distance, its palace rose, a magnificent structure of tall, sweeping towers. The slim willows that she had glimpsed in the portal lined the path, swaying gently.

She was unaware of the uncontainable excitement on her face until she caught Bracken smiling in amusement at her. “What?” She said, but with a smile, too overwhelmed to be irritated.