T W O

Willow awoke with a gasp

Willow awoke with a gasp. Head throbbing and eyes clenching shut in pain, darkness consuming her vision and she couldn't tell if they were open or not. She let out a pained cough, breathe wavering as she felt disoriented. Their was a mist covering the floor causing her nostrils to wince at the overwhelming smell, throat closing slightly. She felt as if she was drowning in darkness, her eyes only seeing shadows of objects around her. Shakily, she stood up from the floor and heard a echo sound around her from the small action.

Her heart began to race in her chest as the turmoil faded but was replaced with panic. She had no recollection of where she was and the deathly mist surrounding her only added to her anxiety. She couldn't breathe in, only feeling as if she was being suffocated by dust and the thick air. Willow slowly began to walk, knees buckling and legs shaking.

The sound of her bare feet softly touching the cold and dirty pavement echoed loudly in the eerie darkness causing her nerves to stand on end, heart beating loudly in her ears like a rhythm. Her eyesight evened out and she could make out her surroundings.

There were cells everywhere. Like prison cells, small and enclosed, rust covering the metal bars. She continued down the long hallway, the smallest sound making her jump in fear. She felt solitary, as if she was a prisoner and there was no escape. She let out a shaky breathe as she came to approach a door, not so much as a door but more of a vault.

As if on instinct, Willow let her small hands find the rusted handle of the door and gave one tug at it, only nudging it halfway towards her. With more force, she continued to pull the lever towards her until a click resonated throughout the emptiness, signaling the door unlocking. Pulling the heavy door open in the slightest, she found herself in a enclosed room of sorts.

Dead center of the room was a circular hatch with a turning wheel on top of it. She let her hand glide over the wheel, dusty and moist to the touch, before she got a firm grip on the metal padlock. Using all the strength she had, she twisted the wheel to the left, which in turn let out another click into the void. Willow pushed up the hatch as it was hingeless and no longer bound into the ground until it was open completely.

Getting down on her knees, she looked into the almost well-like circle and could see nothing but a pitch black abyss. Though, she could make out the start of a ladder leading down and felt a overwhelming urge to climb down. She felt like a weight was on her shoulders and it couldn't be lifted unless she went down.

Her legs went in first and carefully touched the metal, attempting to hold her balance on the small bars. She then let her shaking hands, which she hadn't noticed before, touch the icy cold metal and grasp it. Softly, as if not to make a single sound, she began moving down the hole into the darkness until all she could see was the bars inches away from her face.