prologue

The Hunger Games are a brutal competition which took place annually in the country of Panem. Every year, one boy and one girl between the ages of 12 and 18 were selected from each of the twelve districts as tributes, who train for a week and then are sent into an outdoor arena to fight to the death. The event was nationally televised as mandatory viewing for all citizens. The last living tribute is declared the victor and is allowed to live in comfort back in their district. Over 150 years ago the thirteen districts of Panem revolted against the Capitol. Together, they stood strong, but when District 13 was supposedly obliterated by the Capitol, resistance became impossible, as District 13 was the driving force behind the rebellion. The remaining districts submitted to the Capitol and lost their hope for change.
Every year since the rebellion, the
Capitol forced 24 children into the arena and used hidden cameras to televise the events in order to both entertain the Capitol citizens and remind the twelve districts how they are completely at the Capitol's mercy. Only one tribute can win the games. The games were put on hold after the 75th Hungergames when Katniss Everdeen and District 13 started another rebellion in hope to destroy the capital but were defeated once again so the games continued as normal. This year is the 150th games and is the 6th quarter quell so the games will be harder than ever to survive.