Tattoos

We're heading over to the tattoo parlor on Saturday, tonight we're watching a movie on her couch. She's draped her legs over my lap and is reading the back of the DVD case she rented from some store. It's some romantic comedy about two teenagers or some shit like that. "Can we play the DVD?" I ask as the menu screen restarts for the third time playing the shitty happy bouncy music once again.

"Yeah I was just doing this to bug you." She teases sitting up and putting her feet on the ground. She grabs the remote while I mumble under my breathe. Pressing play the movie starts up and she scoots closer to me leaning against my chest. I throw an arm around her shoulders and bring her closer. We finish the movie without managing to kill ourselves. Neither of us like romance movies but we suffered through it because they had nothing else we wanted to watch. I hardly laughed during the entire thing except when Emma laughed. I would laugh just because hers is so cute and contagious. It was after the movie ended that things sort of took a bad turn.

"Can I ask you something?" I begin as she gets up to turn off the TV and eject the DVD.

"Umm yeah." She replies slowly, confused. "

Where is your dad? How come I've never met him? You would think he'd want to meet me ya?" Emma shrugs.

"I don't know where he is." She replies vaguely.

"You don't know?" I repeat. Emma nods.

"Yup!" She slams the DVD case shut and sets it down on the coffee table as she heads into the kitchen. Getting up I follow her.

"So what he's like not around.. Did your parents... Divorce?" She shakes her head. "Did he... Die.." She pauses in getting a cup of water.

"I don't know."

"Well can you.. Tell me?" I ask lightly.

"Why? Have you talked to Harry?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"Harry? No. I haven't talked to him in a while. Why?" She blushes red. "Have you talked to Harry?" I say suddenly changing the subject. She shrugs. "

About a week ago yeah." She said nonchalantly.

"Why?" I ask trying not to pressure her.

"I don't know. It was when you were sick he approached me. I got mad and we yelled at each other. Not much." But enough for her to think it had something to do with the conversation we're about to have.

"You talked to him about your dad but not me." It's not even a question I already know the answer. She just has to confirm it.

"Yeah, I might have." She mumbles looking away from me.

"So you can talk to him but not me? I'm your boyfriend!" I cry out. Emma squeezes her eyes shut and sighs.

"I'm sorry Zayn I.." I turn around and scoff. "Will you just listen to me right now! I'm going to tell you!" She shouts pulling on my arm to turn me around. Grinding my teeth I sigh and stare at her.

"My dad was exactly like Harry's so I don't really have to say much except that he's not dead and I still live in fear that he might come back and hurt my mom or me." I stare at her in shock.

"Your dad beat you?" I ask. Her shoulders slump and she rubs her temple sighing.

"Yes Zayn, but I'm fi.." I don't let end finish the sentence.

"I hit you. Why are you still with me?" I demand. It's like I'm trying to get her to break up with me.

"Because I want to be with you! You've hit me before we were together!" She points out.