Episode Three

ADOBEA
(written by R. K. Gyimah)

I spent seven days in a juvenile cell where I ate once a day. Every time I woke up I looked up to see whether God was still watching. I had suffered tragedly right from birth. I thought all my sufferings were over but I ended up in prison. The Police, I remembered prayed the Court to put me on remand pending investigations. I became broken.  I was given a Lawyer who promised to help me, but first he needed to see my family. I told him I had none. I narrated my story to  Lawyer Klufio; yes that was his name. He wept the whole time he spent with me in my cell. My cell was a confined small place that harboured only hardened criminals. It had only one small burglar proofed window that only allowed sun rays into the cell. It had enclosed washrooms with no running water. The walls were painted with human stains. The stench in the cell alone had a different role to play. The cell had only one small bed that was shared by three persons. I shared the cell with two other inmates. Mitchel and Stella were my new found family.  Mitchel killed her own father. She shot him. According to her, she found her father in bed with their house help.  Stella’s case wasn’t different. She stabbed her classmate to death for talking to a boy she admired. The sad thing was that these two people had reasons to be in prison, yet they had family members visiting them. I was innocent, yet I had no one.  The third day in the cell was the most horrifying. Mitchel who was five years older than me had drunk a concoction. It was to  abort her pregnancy; l later got to know. She vomited blood the whole night. We called for help but it was too late. Mitchel died in my arms. Her lifeless body was sent away. A Prison Warden got her pregnant. The cruelty of man was all over. Stella and I were now for each other. We had to mob the blood the whole night. We prayed the Wardens to change our cell but they refused. At that very moment I knew I was the next to die.  Stella had a visitor; the door was opened and she left with the Prison Guard. I quickly fetched a rope I had prepared that night just to commit suicide. Luckily for me, a metal rod was dangerously exposed in the ceiling. I stood on the only table in the cell and tied one end of the rope to it. I then tied the other end around my neck. I looked up and God was still not watching. I prayed “unto thee I lift my soul.” Just as I was about to move myself away from the table, I heard my name mentioned. I turned but there was no one around. The voice sounded like my grandmother. I wanted to die but was afraid at the same time. I still gathered courage and moved myself away from the table. My breath started ceasing. I wept profusely knowing I was gone forever. The mentioning of my name now became faint. “I am coming home mom and dad.” I solemnly prayed with my heart so heavy in sorrow.  It was on this day that I realized that if God hadn’t finished you, He will never take you home. The rusted iron rod broke and I fell heavily on the ground. Jesus Christ! I shouted. Just when I was about to reorganize myself, Stella entered. “Goodness! What has come over you? Why do you want to die? I know I am guilty and I deserve to be here, yet I still trust in God for mercies. But here you are: you are innocent and trapped here. Why do you lose hope? God isn’t sleeping. He definitely knows all the trials you are going through and He will surely respond to you. I beg you don’t give up. Your story gave me hope. I just told my mother it was a blessing having you here. She even brought these items to be given you. Adobea, if you kill yourself now, you haven’t only killed one soul, but a whole generation: of which I am part. I love you, please stand up; and let's share a word of prayer.” Stella ended her speech and I become wet with tears. I never knew I would ever find love here. We hugged each other as she handed over the items brought by her mother to me.

The following day was my fifth day in prison. It was a day more to the beginning of my trial in Court. I had told my Lawyer earlier about Hajia Sekinatu who will be so vital in the investigations. I was escorted by the Police together with my lawyer to Hajia Sekinatu's house. She wept bitterly when she heard the story and apologized for handing me over to Uncle Jake or Prince Davis. She accepted to testify in Court. She gave me food and promised to visit me the following day in cell before the start of trial. My Lawyer and I were very happy. He begged Hajia Sekinatu to gather evidence so we win this case. I got back to the cell so happy. Stella was so happy to see me. We sang praises to God the whole night. I heard the other inmates in the other cells joining us.

As promised, Hajia Sekinatu visited me the following day. She was allowed in because she was a key witness in my Case. She brought lots of food and love. Surprisingly, Hajia Sekinatu brought me a bible, and begged me never to stop praying. She kissed my forehead and left. As Stella and I were chatting she brought out her family picture; with her siblings, mum and dad. I felt quite sad, but she held my hand and said we are now a family. I looked closely at her father and it seemed I had seen his picture before. Her father was my father’s brother who had allegedly killed my parents, sacked my grandmother and I from the house and subsequently took over their property. My grandmother had shown his picture to me before. Interestingly, he was still staying in my father’s house. Stella was my cousin and her father allegedly killed my parents. I cunningly quizzed Stella but never revealed my identity.

It was Thursday, 18th September 2003. I called this day the Judgment Day. My Lawyer and I got to the Court very early. I wore a white satin dress that was bought for me by Hajia Sekinatu. She told me she was wearing a similar one to Court so I should also do same. My case was the third on the list and soon it was my turn. The Prosecutor then instructed the court clerk to have my case called. Then I heard " the Republic vrs Adobea" as I mounted the box l looked around but could not see Hajia Sekinatu .....oh no! She was nowhere to be found. My Lawyer humbly prayed the court to stand down my case for some few minutes whiles he moved   out to contact my prime witness; Hajia Sekinatu. He made the call only to be told  that Hajia Sekinatu had been knocked down by a car that very morning and was dead …. (To be Continued)