Episode Twenty-Two

ADOBEA
(written by R. K. Gyimah)

Gerald saw me off to the back gate of the hotel. I hugged the little boy and said goodbye. I did not want to believe him but it made no difference if I didn’t. I got to the other street of the hotel leading to Estate junction. I boarded a taxi. I sat at the back seat. With just a minute away; the passenger at the front seat turned and said you are welcome. I lifted up my head and goodness, you won’t believe this; it was Mawusinu. The smile on her face made me miss a heartbeat. For five seconds we were all quiet. I knew with Mawusinu in the front seat the Driver already knew my destination. Fear and uncertainty gripped my emotions. I knew my chance of survival was an illusion. Mawusinu broke the silence; “Adobea, where is Gerald? I think I sent the two of you together with Jojo?” I answered, “Yes mum.” "So where are the two and where is my car? I hope they aren’t in trouble? Think of it; where are you going and where is my pack of Chicken Chicks?”Hmm mum, it isn’t ready. I just want to fetch myself some medicine from the Pharmacy right at the Junction.” I cunningly replied. “But Adobea, there is a Pharmacy just close to the hotel. Why do you want to stress yourself like that? I have taken you as my first daughter. You should have allowed Jojo to drive you to the Pharmacy. I came to the Clinic to do some tests. I am on my way home. Let the Taxi Driver take you to the Pharmacy after which probably we will all go back to the hotel. I am very hungry, Adobea.” Mawusinu’s submission confused me the more. Her kind words were too nice to trust Gerald; but what about if she was also pretending? I still needed to run away I said to myself. We got to the Pharmacy; she also alighted from the taxi and escorted me inside. I got myself some Paracetamol tablets. We left the Pharmacy but she insisted I visited the Clinic rather, since she wasn’t okay with self-medication. I promised her I will be fine.

The Taxi Driver upon instructions from Mawusinu turned and drove towards the hotel. I knew it was game over for me. Getting close to the Hotel she had a call. The call came from a close relative who had come from the United Kingdom hearing of Grandma’s demise. “Oh no, Adobea I need to rush home. Auntie Kukua has just arrived. You have to alight here and walk to the hotel. You guys need to hurry up home. I am hungry. Wait Adobea! Have some money to buy extra pack for Auntie Kukua. She also likes Chicken Chips.” Mawusinu left with a smile on her face expecting me back home. I knew Gerald and Jojo had already left the hotel. I knew there was no way I was ever going back to that house.

My journey of a new beginning had started again. No family; no friends. I was all alone by myself. I still knew God was still watching. My only prayer was that I wouldn’t give up. Just as I was about to board another taxi I heard my name mentioned from afar. I turned and it was Mawusinu returning with the taxi. O Jesus! I said to myself. “Adobea so sorry; Jojo just called they were home and I thought it was unwise to leave you here. Forget about the Chips. Sit in the car and let us go home.” Like a zombie controlled with a feather I sat in the taxi. I knew this wasn’t a movie; goodness it was real. How do I end this? Mawusinu sounded so sweet. She never lost her words. She told the Taxi Driver all the good things I did for her.

Something interesting happened when we were getting close to the house. Mawusinu’s car was parked three houses away from our house. She saw it but never commented. I knew something was fishy. We got to our gate too but she made the driver bypassed it. There I knew this wasn’t funny any longer. She alighted in front of her neighbour’s house and asked me to sit in the car as she fetched Auntie Kukua. It made no sense to me. Why would Auntie Kukua be in a neighbour’s house whilst Jojo and Gerald were already home? And even the other house help was also home. Oh heavens! I became terrified. I turned my back and I saw Mawusinu’s car getting closer. But I thought it was parked? I asked myself angrily. It got very close and I saw the driver. It was Mawusinu. How did that happen? I saw her walking to her neighbour’s house. Things weren’t right here. I looked at the Taxi Driver and begged him to move. He was adamant. I pleaded and asked him to save me. He told me it was too late. I turned my back and it looked like Mawusinu wanted the Taxi Driver to move first so she could also follow. She blew her car horn several times.

The Taxi Driver turned his head, looked at me and said “run away my daughter; but remember, do not look back.” I alighted and had to run. The instruction was simple; “do not look back.” but I did… (to be continued)*