Episode Twenty - Six

ADOBEA
(written by Klenam Gyimah)

Nii Okai caused me so much pain. The thought of losing him made me crazy. I wasn’t crazy giving him my love and my money. Do not judge me; I was in love. No one falls in love and wishes for the worst, but Nii Okai did that and he went away a free man. Forgetting about what happened was just like forgetting my day of birth: yet I had to forgive him. Don’t ever think it was that easy. I started to build up my life again. I devoted my entire life to serve in the Church and still sold my sachet water. One Sunday after Church service the District Pastor called me to his office. His message was simple: he wanted me to marry his son. I was quite confused but wasn’t surprised. Deacon Adotey made sure I fully recovered. He gave me capital to start the sachet water business again as a wholesaler. He was such an adorable figure; but the truth was that I never loved him. It was too late to have told him. I had enjoyed too much of his favours. All along I never knew there were strings attached to them.

Finally, I agreed to marry Deacon Adotey; but with a condition. Oh heavens! Why would I even think that way? How can I marry Deacon Adotey and not be intimate with him? That was really a silly thought. You can’t blame me; I have sold that pride to Nii Okai. I felt for no other man. Oh God, I felt I needed a Psychologist; but what at all would he tell me that I don’t already know? I sat quietly on my bed and asked myself so many questions. Marrying at age twenty one was no problem at all but I had no family to even give my hand out in marriage. The joy and pride of leaving your family to your husband’s home wasn’t there. I had no family. Deacon Adotey was such an adorable person. He convincingly understood my past, concentrated on my present and reliably relied on the future. He gave me out for adoption to an older couple in the Church that had been childless for over thirty years. At least I found a new family that will eventually give my hand out in marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Dadzie were great people. Their kindness was incomprehensible. They were too eager I moved into their house. I told them to give me some time so I can convincingly recondition myself for that new life.

One Sunday after Church, Deacon Adotey and I decided to watch a movie at the Silverbird Cinema, Accra Mall. I was so happy. That was my first time watching a movie at that Cinema. His younger sister opted to join us, but he refused her. I felt bad but he insisted and emphatically stated he wanted us to have our privacy. He was so romantic but prayerful. I jokingly called him sexy Deacon. It was a whole unforgettable experience at the Silverbird Cinema. He held my left hand so tight as we watched the movie titled, “In April” directed by Eddie Nartey and the lead actress was Yvonne Nelson. From nowhere I felt the sexy Deacon’s hand around my neck and comfortable landed on my shoulder. I felt a sharp sensation in my heart. He looked into my eyes and whispered, “I love you Adobea.” Awww… it was so romantic.  Surprisingly, we sat in the front seats. It was just magical. Right then a lady approached us that we left the popcorn we ordered. It was strange to me because we took along that popcorn; but he thanked the lady and even gave her extra money. It was only a pack of popcorn too. We ate as we watched the movie. I felt my hand touched a metal in the pack. I took a closer look; it was a ring. Oh God! Another ring... This time it was the right one. Deacon Adotey knelt in front of me, not perturbed by those looking at us and proposed marriage to me. It was a joyous moment. Words could not explain. I felt a sharp pain in my abdomen so I excused him to visit the washroom. I did that and upon my return to the Cinema hall I met Nii Okai and his family at the lobby also coming to watch a movie. My heartbeat immediately increased by its beats. He was surprised to see me but also confused. He excused his wife and children and went to the washroom. Immediately, my phone rang. It was Nii Okai. My spirit didn’t want to answer but my emotions did. “Hello Adobea, can we please meet downstairs in front of Shoprite in the next five minutes?” I didn’t even get the chance to answer. He just hanged up. Whether it was a question or a statement, I didn’t really know. I was so confused but had some joy within when I met him. Please do not get me wrong, he still had my heart. I rushed to the Cinema hall and told Deacon Adotey I needed to go and that I had an emergency. He was so confused and disappointed. I told him I will make it up to him. I lied to him my neighbour had a motor accident and had been rushed to the hospital. He wanted to go with me but for the first time I gave him a kiss and insisted he finished the movie so he could narrate anytime we met. At exactly five minutes I was in front of Shoprite. Nii Okai came in a minute later and asked me to follow him. We got to his car and with no words coming from each other he drove straight to my house. It was like nothing bad had ever happened. The passion ignited like fire.

About forty-five minutes later I heard a knock on my door. Nii Okai had ordered for pizza so we thought it was the dispatch Rider. I opened the door and goodness; it was Nii Okai’s wife. She entered and pushed me onto the floor. She took a gun from her bag and pointed it at the husband who was by then lying naked on my bed. With no explanation from the husband she shot him thrice on the head. She looked at me and said “thank you my daughter.” Just when I was about to remove the towel around body to wear a dress, Deacon Adotey entered. Holy Father! I screamed. I only invited Nii Okai’s wife and not Deacon Adotey. He looked at me, looked at the naked body in the pool blood, and finally looked at Nii Okai’s wife and said to her, “I am so sorry mum.” With tears in his eyes Deacon Adotey left my room. Two minutes later I heard a car had knocked someone. I got there and it was my Deacon Adotey… (to be Continued)