Part 1

"Play it again."

The ghost sighed softly and started the last message they'd received from Xander.

"Hey. If you're listening, I'm sorry I couldn't come. I know getting into the Valhalla elite is a big accomplishment for you. I just couldn't leave in time to be there...Our ship crashed...We think we're on one of Jupiter's moons, but we can't say for sure. Our map was the first thing to go before the coms fell...Ever since we've been sending out transmissions blindly, hoping they're picked up by someone..." The voice started to slow down, not a good sign.

"I don't know when we'll be able to leave, or even if we will get to leave. We're running low on ammo, and the taken keep popping up everywhere. It seems like the more we shoot down the more they spawn. Our numbers are slowly decreasing. There were 15 of us. Now there's only 4..."

The transmission was interrupted by taken speech and gun shots as Scarlet placed the back of her hand to her lips.
Once it had settled down she could hear Xander's rapid breathing. "I just want you to know, I love you. Whatever happens, you do everything you can to keep going. Stay in that clan and make something of yourself Scar. One way or another I will find you again." His tone sounded as though he was in pain and she held her breath as a tear fell from her eye.

The ghost cut the message short and flickered it's eye at her as she over looked the Traveler.She knew the costs when she decided to help the Awoken. Cayde had been working with her, but he wasn't enough to keep her from Gage's wrath.

Her fire team leader didn't much care for the awoken and their Prince on the Reef and once word got out that she had been helping them, he kicked her off the fire team. The Valhalla elite was a huge accomplishment for anyone, but Scarlet's constant disregard for the rules had set her apart. Unlike most, Scarlet's focus was on completing the mission however reckless she became. Cayde, among others, feared it was because of the loss of someone very dear to her.

She had questions.

Cayde knew that. He knew that what she was feeling must have been worse than anything else. He gave a small sigh walked to her, placing a hand on her back as he sat down with her.

"I think, you're leaking just a bit.... just...right here..." He started, moving his hand up to his own eye, showing her where her tears were coming from. "Careful, you might rust..." He tried to tease, wiping her tears away with his hand. Scarlet wasn't an exo like him, but he was just trying to lighten the mood a bit.

"Sorry...I was never really any good with these kinds of things...." He started.

There was a long moment of silence before he sighed.

"It must be rough...Hearing that over and over..." He started but Scarlet only shrugged. "I guess when it's the only thing left, it isn't so bad." She said, forcing a smile.

"Xander would have been proud of you. You did the right thing. Even if Gage doesn't see it." He assured her. "There's always another fire team you know...I've put my word in-"

"None of that matters." She said. "What am I supposed to do? Xander is gone, and now the prince. Maybe it's better this way. Gage and the others will be a hell of a lot safer with me out of the picture." She started.

"Hey, don't start thinking that way!" Cayde scolded. "You and I both know that's not true...I mean, if anything, they need someone like you...A loose cannon...An ace in the hole... " Cayde looked out to the traveler. "I can't imagine what you're feeling and honestly, I'm worried about you. You took these...suicide missions without hesitation, you pushed your luck with that prince...If they need anyone it's a guardian like you." Cayde stopped and looked down as he propped his hand on one knee. "Look, I don't mean to bring up private matters but, I know about the meetings you had with the prince...The ones that were supposed to be private..." He started. "I know you're trying to find him." He continued. "Whatever this guy is to you..." Cayde stopped again, giving another sigh.

Scarlet kept her gaze out on the traveler. "You've always been able to find the good in people.... But you need to find it in yourself too." He said. "What happened to Xander wasn't your fault. I don't know if looking for Uldren Sov is really all that important to you or if it's just a way to find some sort of peace with yourself but..." He handed her a piece of paper. "I was able to find some of his last transmissions before he crashed. It seems like its somewhere on Mars." He told her.

Scarlet looked at the note and then looked at Cayde. "Why are you helping me do this?" She asked.
Cayde stood up and turned, looking down at her. "You've helped me out a lot, and this is what it's got you. I can't get you back into Valhalla elite, but I can help you find Uldren. If this guy is that important to you...Then I'll do what I can." He assured.

"Thank you." Scarlet said, holding the paper close to her chest as she smiled up at Cayde. She stood up, moving to him as she hugged him.
Cayde's arms lifted slowly, moving up to return the motion.