Chapter Six

Your phone dropped out of your hands and into your lap. Shock paralyzed your body as you tried to understand what your normally cheerful grandmother just said.

"Honey, I'm so sorry." She calmly rested her old, wrinkled hand onto yours, but you snatched it away in pure shock. Hīru died only two weeks ago, and your mother was severely injured. Now your father and sister were dead, drowned as some sort of mocking. To show that heroes weren't as powerful anymore. It was even crueler that the two people in your family with water-related quirks were drowned and the two people in your family were severely injured by wounds because they couldn't heal themselves. It brought out their weaknesses and you were almost sure they did it on purpose.

Quietly, you got up to sit outside. Your grandmother just sighed and left you be. She knew how terrible it was to lose important family at such a young age. It destroyed the soul and crushed the spirit. She could only hope that you would turn out okay.

You could only sit down on the bench outside. You could feel the tears pouring from your eyes and the occasional one dripping into your lap. You could feel the slight parting of your lips as you whimpered and cried. But you didn't really feel anything. You couldn't feel anything. It was just so empty. There was nothing that you could think. Nothing you could feel. Just emptiness.

So you only stared at the sky.

And as your eyes explored the cloudy heaven where your father, brother, and sister were, you felt okay.

Calm.

A bit satisfied, even.

Despite that single tear rolling down your cheek, you smiled.

————

Sorry about the short chapter. I wanted to move on so I could get to the part that you actually came for.

Also I have this really cool guidance counselor who is trying to learn everyone's name by the end of November/Thanksgiving so when he walks down the hall, and yells the names of students as he runs to his office.

So that's fun.