Lexi

Covington Academy^^^

~Lexis pov~
I remember the day I left home. I woke up and the sun was out, it was a beautiful day. I went down to the kitchen and saw my mom and dad sitting at the dining room table whispering to each other. I went over and jumped on my dads lap like I did every morning, but instead of tickling me or lifting me over his head like he usually did he just propped me up and sat me on his lap. Then my mom leaned over and hugged me as she cried. We sat there for a long time then hugging me and crying, me not knowing what was going on.
"Mommy what's wrong?" I looked up into my moms big blue eyes as she caressed my face tears rolling down her cheeks.
"Well baby there's a lot of bad things happening right now and to make sure you'll be safe you're going to go away for a while." She choked back her tears as she spoke. I didn't understand but I started to cry anyway. I was never away from my parents. We did everything together, I didn't know where I was going but I knew that I didn't want to go.
"Oh it's ok baby girl don't cry, it's gonna be fun, like camp." My dad spoke softly in my ear. The rest of the day was spent in my room with my parents packing my things and getting me ready to leave. At 5 o'clock that evening the bus came to pick me up. I hugged my parents and climbed onto the big white bus. As I walked to the back I saw lots of people from my school they all had the same sad look that I did. I watched as my parents waved to me from the side walk, but the part that I'll never forget. The memory that will be burned in my brain as long as I live is the memory of the explosion that hit my house as the bus took me away.
————————————————
*9 years later*
" So Max? When can I get outta here?" I asked putting my feet up on the desk.
" Lexi it's detention. It's an hour. You should know that by know since you spend most of your time here. And please call me Mr. Conrad" He sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose going back to his book. Max Conrad was an English teacher here at Covington academy. He was also in charge of running detention where I was a frequent flier. Conrad has a soft spot for me, most of the teachers do, since I'm one of the few student who knows for a fact that both my parents are dead. It also helps that I have the highest scores in the school. Let me just break down how society works now a days. In 2035 when the war began the global superpowers joined together to protect the children so every kid from ages 6-16 was rounded up and taken to a facility to be tested. Depending on how you scored on the preliminary exams you were sent to one of three schools. Baxter Academy was the first, located in what used to be Canada. That was the school for people who scored below average. Basically that just means that as soon as they finish their 12th year of school they'll either be enlisted into the army to fight or sent out to fend for themselves. Then there is Holloway Academy, located in Chile, for the average students. They'll usually be sent to the factories to make weapons or enlisted to help build the army bases. And that brings us to the final school, Covington Academy, located in France, the school for those the governments believed were gifted. The hopes for all of the students at Covington is that hopefully we'll be the children of our generation smart enough to bring this war to an end. Because of this anyones spot can be taken. You see the way it works is that every six months we take an exam to see where we're at academically. Any student from any academy can be transferred depending on their score. Because of this everyone is always striving to be the best student, the higher your test scores the better your future. I've had the highest test scores at Covington since I was 11.
"Come on Mr Conrad please let me leave! I'm gonna miss dinner!" He looked up at me from his desk and then glanced at the clock before looking back at me.
"Fine but promise no more smoke bombs in chemistry." I stood from my desk and grabbed my bag giving him a smile as I walked by. I paused at the door and smirked looking back at him,
"I make no such promises." I started running down the hall before he could respond. I can't wait to eat.