Volume 3: Number of Pages does Matter

Jaegar decided to go to the town closest to Unowne, the town of Yuberden. It was close to the mountain areas where most monsters live. He thought that a town near such a location will be filled with requests to eradicate monsters.

"I wonder how many monsters I can get rid of here." He thought to himself after setting foot inside the town. He went straight to the tavern to check any job requests regarding monsters. He was not disappointed.

"Hey there, young knight. What are you doing in a place like this?" The old barkeep, while he was wiping a glass with cloth, asked Jaegar with a hint of interest. "Not many knights like you visit this town."

"Oh, we were given the mission of eradicating the monsters. I just thought I can do that here." He answered without looking at the barkeep and just continued to read the posts for requests.

"Now that's funny. Eradicate the monsters, you say? Isn't that a bit too late now?"

"What do you mean?" He finally looked at the barkeep.

"You capital folks really don't know what's happening outside your haven, do you?" The irritation can be felt from his voice. "We've been suffering from all the monster attacks for years now!"

"Well, you do live near the mountains. Most monsters live out there—"

"What are you knights and the other organizations even do, then? Instead of eliminating them, those damn monsters have increased in numbers! Do your job and protect the people!" Jaegar couldn't respond and quietly left while grabbing a request poster that got his interest.

---

Jaegar walked around town, reading the poster in his hand. "I guess killing monsters is equal to protecting the people. I should just kill a lot of monsters then. And this is the perfect way to start."

He walked towards the inn and rented a room. He left his small bag inside. Still grasping the request poster in his hand, he then went to the town restaurant. It was a pretty spacious one floor building. Considering the size of the town, the restaurant could easily be mistaken for the mayor's office.

He entered inside and asked a waiter that was serving the table nearest the entrance. "Hey, can I talk to the manager of this restaurant? It's about the request posted in the tavern."

"Go straight to the counter." The waiter didn't bother looking at Jaegar.

"I see. Thanks, Mr. Personality."

"I heard that." The waiter responded to him before leaving the table.

"I wasn't whispering, don't worry." Jaegar walked towards the counter without looking back at the waiter.

Once he was at the counter, he saw a pretty young lady arranging some dishes.

"Where's the manager? I want to talk about the request he posted at the tavern."

"You're looking at her."

"Are you serious? It's like you're younger than me, and that's a compliment." He didn't believe the young lady. "It may be a little too early to be killing your parents like that. Can you call your father or mother—?"

"They're dead. Monsters killed them when I was younger. I'm afraid I can't call them."

"... I'm sorry. I guess I was... out of line." He lowered his voice.

"That's fine. Strangers like you don't bother me at all. Now, if you're serious about that request, then let's talk about it." The young lady was now looking straight at Jaegar, her eyes fixed on him but with no hint of anger.