Volume 5: Always Leave a Bookmark

"What? You're not going to stay?" Avila shouted and slammed her hands at the counter. The people eating inside the restaurant looked at her direction for a moment, and then went back to their own business.

"Yeah. We've been staying here for a few days already. I think the town is a lot safer now since we got rid of those parent monsters the other day." Jaegar answered her nonchalantly, gulping down the food he was eating.

"Also, we've killed almost all the monsters left in this area, just like what you asked us to do." Brittanya also answered Avila, stating the truth as she was sitting at the counter beside Jaegar.

"But what will I do without my friends— err, my slaves? We still have a lot to do here."

"Hey, I said I'd help, and I did. Look, I like the free food here. But my mission comes first."

"But, do you have to take her as well?" Avila pointed at Brittanya. "Right, Tany?" She then looked towards Brittanya with wide eyed anticipation of a favorable reply.

"I did join him in his mission. If he needs the help of the greatest mage, then I will help him."

"But, why? Don't tell me he saved you and you fell head over heels for him or something." Avila was shaking her head, her hand in her face.

"Not really. He's not my type." She smiled at her.

"The feeling's mutual." Jaegar didn't look at her and continued to eat.

"I can't talk both of you out of leaving, can I?" Avila was starting to be less imposing.

"Nope." Jaegar finished eating and pushed the bowl away from him. "Anyway, thanks for everything. We better get a move on."

"Where are you both going now?" She was genuinely curious. "You do have a plan of action, right?"

"To the next town, I guess?" He pondered for a moment. "I'm sure there are a lot of monsters wherever we go."

"That's your plan?" Avila bowed her head and let out a big sigh. "Look, if you want to eradicate more monsters and help people like what you did here, go to Jiputin. It's just south of here. People coming from that town told me that there were incidents where people were attacked by savage monsters."

"Oh, now that sounds like a plan!" Brittanya was impressed by the suggestion.

"Yeah, thanks!" Even Jaegar was pleased with the idea.

Tears suddenly fell from Avila's eyes. "I can't believe this. I feel like it's the second time my parents are going to leave me..."

"Don't start killing us off, you cheeky brat." Jaegar turned his back at Avila. "We'll visit again once we're done."

"Who are you calling a brat? You don't look like that older than me!" She was covering her face while still crying. "And who said anything about missing you? Just die for all I care!"

"The food was delicious. See you around." Jaegar started walking towards the exit. "Let's go, Brittanya."

"Hey, aren't we going to clarify that 'parents' part? We're not a couple, you know." Brittanya stood up from her seat to follow Jaegar. She looked back at Avila. "Bye, Avila!"

When the both of them left the restaurant, Avila stopped covering her face with her hands. "Those cold hearted fools. Not even my tears could stop them." She had a smile on her face. "I'll be waiting for you guys."

---

The pair started to walk towards Jiputin. They were going to trek through several mountains to reach the next town.