Prologue

A knock could be heard on the heavy door of King Acorn's castle. He opened the door to find an ash gray hedgehog standing at the door holding a baby hedgehog.

"Hello" he said, "My brother and I are cold, hungry, and homeless. There is no way I can provide for both of us. I promise that until my brother is old enough, I will repay you by working around the castle."

"You don't need to do that," King Acorn said, "You are much too young. You should not be the subject of labor. Come, I invite you into my home as my son." The hedgehog was much surprised, but he accepted the invitation.

"Thank you, father. My name is Ash."

"Welcome home Ash."

The king reached into the arms of Ash and took his brother.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm taking him to the queen to be fed. Don't worry, I'll bring him back."

When the queen saw the baby's eyes, she was startled. Never before had she seen eyes such a natural color of emerald green. After she fed him from a baby bottle, he was returned to Ash.

Ash and the king sat in front of the fire with the baby asleep in Ash's arms.

"So, what is your brother's name?" King Acorn asked Ash.

"He has no name," Ash replied.

"Well, tell me a little about him so we may find a proper name."

"Well, he's usually playful, he runs fast, and he's always hungry."

"He runs fast?" the king repeated.

"Yes," Ash replied.

"Wake him so we may see just how fast," the king requested. Ash woke his brother and instructed him to run to the other side of the room and back. He did as he was told.

"We will name him, Sonic," the king announced. Ash nodded as he rocked Sonic back to sleep.

As the years passed, Sonic and Ash became friends with the kings daughter Sally and her friend, Amy Rose. On Sonic's third birthday, Sally tried to touch Sonic inappropriately. Ash scolded her and she never tried again. That night, the king and queen heard ear-splitting screams from Sonic and Ash's bedroom. They ran in to save the children but it was too late. . .Sonic and Ash were gone.

Sonic and Ash were gone