Flowers and Trauma, My Favorite Combination

''What?''
''What do you mean, 'what'? Quit playing dumb Peter''
Seated at a table in the cafeteria with Peter's group and Nina, you were just as confused as Peter, who had paused right in the middle of cutting his German sausage, to look up questioningly at Nina.
''I seriously don't understand what you're talking about Nina. I've never written any poems, especially anything that fancy-smancy, 'Born to smother you with flowers'? That's way too cheesy to for me.''
''I agree, Peter could never write a poem like that, even if 90% of his grade depended on it''
Shooting a playful glare at Peter, who shot you a not-so-playful one right back, you turned your attention to Nina once again, whose face was twisted in an expression of confusion.
''But then... Who could it be? I've only given my email address to my friends.''
Peter muttered a quiet ''Well, that's just great. Another rival in my pursuit of love.''
Placing a gentle hand on Nina's back, you gave her a small smile. ''Well, I don't know who it is either, but at least they know how to swoon a lady. Who knows, maybe there'll suddenly be a guy waiting outside the classroom one day with an enormous bouquet of flowers, ready to declare his love for you. That doesn't sound too bad does it?''
Slipping of the bench, you imitated said guy, falling down on one knee, one hand holding an imaginary bouquet out to Nina, the other hand splayed against your chest, while you tried your best to imitate the 'romantic' dialect of a French person; ''Oh Nina, my true love. My life bears no meaning without your presence. Truly, the only reason for my existence is to smother you with the most beautiful flowers.''
Nina, who laughed at your grandiose display, placed her hands on her face to hide her red cheeks from others in the cafeteria, as your little 'play' had attracted the attention of other students sitting nearby.
''Come on, that's embarrassing'' She pulled on your sleeve to make you return to your seat, ''I still want to know who it is though.'' She said as rested her face on her hands.

It was weird that someone suddenly had sent some A-grade poetry to Nina's email, which no one but her friends should know, and you hadn't expected this day to get even weirder. Having finished lunch, you found yourself sitting next to Nina during another one of professor Kronecker's lessons. The room was once again silent, as no one dared to face the wrath of Kronecker. This time, Kronecker was talking about the homicide of a family of four, a pair of adults and their two children. Kronecker once again asked Nina to present an analysis of the judge's ruling, to which she shakily stood up and tried to answer. You figured that perhaps, there was finally a question that Nina, being a genius, could not answer. However, after a short moment both Peter and you noticed Nina clutching her blue cardigan to the point where her knuckles turned white.
''Umm, the focus of the trial was the verdict... and the massacre... of the entire family...''
Her voice was weak, and she seemed unsure of what she was saying, as if she wasn't actually focusing. Having known Nina for a few months, becoming friends shortly after you had transferred to this university, you knew this kind of behavior was totally unprecedented.
''The evidence... the evidence...''
Her hand flew up to cover her mouth.

After Peter and you had helped Nina to the bathroom to empty her stomach, Nina crouched on the floor, too tired to stand up. As you handed her a glass of water, you softly asked if she perhaps wanted to go home.
''No, it's okay. That case the professor was talking about... it just made me feel a little dizzy.''
Peter and you made eye contact, both sharing the same concern for Nina and her wellbeing. He hesitantly leaned down to ask her; ''Was it about that family massacre''
''Stop it.''
Nina's voice was sharp and hard, the total opposite of her usually soft voice which easily could be mistaken for a whisper. Both of you were taken aback by her harsh tone, but Peter quickly relaxed and tried to lighten the mood.
''Well, I bet your counselor would say something like 'If you trace it back to it's roots, it is nothing big. Try to remember your childhood'. Or something like that''
''I'm sure some people just don't like hearing about things like that, Peter. Nina, whatever you feel, it's totally fine. As long as it doesn't affect your daily life, it's probably nothing to worry about.''
''My childhood...''
You blinked ''Hm? What about your childhood?''
''I don't have any memories from before I was ten.''