3

A family trip? Are we a family? Everything is so sudden. It feels so odd that Brendon has jumped into my life again.

Should I even let him into my life again? What for? All the pain he's caused me.

Brendon gave you more happiness then you could ask for, Y/N, you know that!  I think

I sigh as I look down at Caleb, the biggest smile on his face and his bright eyes with a dazzling sparkle in them. I look to my right at Brendon, smiling giddily, full of energy and joy. I look at Cecilia; she's so happy to finally have a dad. Caleb and Cecilia are my everything. The one thing that was missing in their lives was having a father, a daddy they could hug and cling on to. They never had a father figure; I played both roles in our family. Until now...

"I haven't been here in ages. Do you remember when we went here, Y/N?" Brendon says, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"Huh? Oh, yeah! That's when we first started dating." I say, recalling the vague memory.

Our hands entwined, smiles bright, music playing and lights shining.

The fuzzy memory makes me smile as I glance at Brendon, whose cheeks flushed a light pink.

"What was it, month three? Remember when we were alone in the planetarium? That was-" Brendon started.

"Ahem!" I clear my throat, looking sharply at Brendon and then at Caleb. He smiles and looks down.

"Right." He giggles.

"Mommy, lets go to the polar bears first!" Cecilia says brightly.

"No! Lions!" Caleb says back.

"I want to go to the polar bears!" Cecilia chimes.

"Lions are way better!"

"C'mon guys! No bad birthday vibes! How about we go to the sea lions first. They're so cool, and I bet you've never seen one before." Brendon says to them, smiling

"Are they lions that swim?" Caleb asks, looking up at Brendon.

"Kind of. You'll love them, Cec. They're sooo cute." Brendon says, making his voice go super high at the end of his sentence.

"Okay." She says, messing with Brendons fluffy hair.

Brendon puts his sunglasses on and we walk together as a family (or group, should I say?) towards the indoor sea lion exhibit. We spend some time in that area, watching the sea lions indoors as they swim gracefully through the water outside. Caleb and Cecilia, clearly mesmerized, watch gleefully through the glass as the sea lions swim near them.

"They're so cute!" Cecilia squeals

"They're AWESOME!" Caleb giggles

"Can we get one, mommy?" Cecilia asks with hopeful eyes.

"Wasn't your heart set on a puppy a couple months ago?" I ask with a giggle, smoothing out her soft hair.

"Oh, right. I love puppies too." She says, turning back around at the sea lions. Brendon hasn't taken his eyes off the kids.

"You love them a lot, don't you?" I ask him, quiet enough so that only he can hear.

"More than anything." He says, pausing. "They do kinda look like me. They've got my eyes." He exhales with a proud smile.

"Yes they do. I always thought it was a piece of you that I got to have forever." I say, smiling at him.

"They've got your beautiful looks, though. No other person in the world has your looks. So unique and beautiful in every single way." He says, never breaking eye contact. Hopefully the dim lights in the indoor portion of the exhibit hides the fact that I'm blushing hardcore.

"Thank you, Brendon." I smile.

I know I'm smiling a lot. I guess I haven't felt happy in a romantic relationship in a while. The last person I ever saw was Brendon.

"Can we go to the tigers?" Caleb asks.

"Sure thing, bud!" I say, ruffling his hair.

"Aww." Cecilia says, grabbing my hand.

"Don't worry, Cec. We're going to see every animal you guys want to see today!" I smile, squeezing her hand.

"Yay!" She squeals as Caleb grabs onto Brendon's hand as we make our way to the next exhibit.

Time Skip

The day was filled with bliss. Utter joy, giggling, delight and laughter. One item I had forgotten I'd packed was my small Polaroid camera I had gotten in college. Memories were made from that camera, mostly of Brendon and I, and I could never bring myself to get rid of it. While I was searching for my sunglasses case, I came across the camera, pulling it out with a grin on my face.

Brendon was sitting down in the middle of Cecilia and Caleb, trying to make each of them laugh while they ate their lunch. I checked to see if the camera had a refill in it (luckily, it did) and I snapped a quick picture. Brendon was so focused on the kids and their bright smiles that he didn't notice. As I was sitting across from them under the shaded bench, I snapped a few more pictures, until they finally noticed and posed for the camera. Sassy, funny, adorable...they did it all.

I'm never going to forget this day. The day my kids met their dad, the day I saw Brendon after years of pain and getting over him, the day I realized...I'm not over him.

Wha-I am over him!

Don't fool yourself, Y/N. You know you'll never get over him. He's the love of your life

Love of my life? Of course he...is?

"Mommaaaaa." Caleb giggles out, resting his head on Brendon's shoulder (making my heart melt, of course).

"Yes, mister?" I say, eating my lunch.

"Can we go to the waterpark?" Caleb smiles, instantly brightening up.

"Hmm..waterpark?" I pretend to contemplate.

"Pweeeeeease!" Cecilia laughs out, wrapping her arms around Brendon's neck.

"Hmmm. Anything for the birthday kids." I say, smiling at them.

"YAYYYY! Daddy! We're going to SWIIIM!" Caleb says, kicking his legs.

Wow, the kids are really warming up to him.

Brendon gives me a "look at that" look, but plays it off by acting surprised at Caleb.

"Y-Yeah, Caleb! We...are." He says, smirking at me, making me giggle. He taps my foot twice under the table, and starts laughing his belly laugh.

"Let's go get changed then, kids!" I say, finishing my water bottle.

After they do a mini-celebration dance, we walk to the locker rooms to get change and rent a locker for our stuff. I get rent an extra large locker so I can store the folded stroller, even though Brendon insisted he would pay. I take the kids into a family restroom, change them and myself into our swim suits and cover ups, and head back outside.

Having two kids didn't leave me with the body I had before, and I am not as confident as I was five years ago. I felt a pang of confidence in myself, and I changed into my slim black one piece with a low back. I looked in the mirror, seeing a goddess in the reflection (YOU ALL ARE GODDESSES!) Everything was covered and it wasn't too revealing, but I still flaunted what my momma gave me...just a bit. I applied sunscreen to the kids and out my sunglasses and cover up on.

We walked outside, greeting Brendon, shirtless in all his glory on a lounge chair.

"Wow....Y/N." He said, standing up and blushing.

I couldn't even hear him. All I was thinking was:

holy hell.