Chapter 5

I left the office and the clean up to the maids. I also left Helix there to think over if he wanted to stay with me. And I left the guard to organize the scribes and others in the castle.

I climbed down the tower and went to stand on the battlements. I now ruled over the town we had gone through and, apparently, the town I used to live in.

When I looked out at the lands that were now mine, I thought of everything that was possible. It appeared to be afternoon. I heard footsteps and when they stopped right next to me I knew it was Helix.

"I'm not going to apologize for what I did. You heard why I did it. That's all I can give you," I said. Helix just nodded.

When he didn't say anything for a little bit I turned to look at him because him being quiet was even more unusual then me being quiet. He was looking over the battlements like me. The difference between us was that he was dressed like a lord's consort. I grinned.

"So. You desired to stay then?" I said. He turned to look at me and grinned.

"Of course. Why would I leave the only friend I have to fend for himself as a lord when he can barely put his thoughts into words?" This time it was my turn to grin. It looked like this ex con had learned some things about me after all. Things I didn't even know he could figure out.

"Look Helix, I just want you to know that... I think you don't need me. You can go anywhere in the world, forget I exist. Aside from me needing you, which I don't, why are you staying?" Helix looked at me, the smile leaving his face.

He stepped closer to me and placed a kiss on my cheek. That was good enough answer for me. Helix pulled back and smiled. I smiled back. So he had fallen in love with me without knowing who I was. It felt good to know that someone cared for me even though I didn't need it.

"My lord?" a guard asked. I looked beyond Helix and the guard from earlier was standing there.

"There is to be an execution at the capitol in two days time. All of the lords were supposed to go and so now that means you. If you want to be on time you might wish to leave now." I looked at Helix. He nodded. He was coming as well. I looked to the guard and smiled.

"Let's get ready then. I need more lord like clothing and we need to pack," I remarked to Helix. He grinned and nodded. The guard nodded and gestured for me to follow him.

In a half hour we were ready. I left everything to the guard while I was away and allowed him to hand me an explanation letter for the king as to why I was the one in the carriage and not Lord Kingsford.

While writing it the guard had asked me what my name was so he could use it. I had told him, "Lord Yuriki Rift has a nice ring to it don't you think?" I didn't want to use my real name for fear of people I knew recognizing me.

Now, sitting in the carriage, Helix and I had time alone. We explained everything about ourselves to each other. We found that when we were just hanging and not worrying about what was going to happen next, having each other for company was nice. I also took some time to explain basic weapons. Meaning the characteristics of every weapon I knew how to use.

We had to stop at night to give the horses a rest but we chose to sleep on the ground under the stars instead of inside the carriage as we were asked. We spent a bit of time naming the constellations and training before Helix passed out in my arms and I fell asleep perfectly content.

We spent the next day in the carriage again but this time Helix decided to use the time as a make out session. I had allowed him to because I felt like it and because I had wanted to.

We arrived at the capitol just before sunset. It was lively and bright. As our carriage passed through the city toward the castle people stopped what they were doing to stare. I had kept the previous lord's insignia because it was a cat on top of a crown and that explained me very well.

When Helix opened the curtains to the carriage and then turned to talk to me I could see the looks of surprise on the people's features. Helix started doing hand games with me and the people just watched in shock.

Even as our carriage pulled into the castle it appeared the prince, who was there to meet us, didn't like the previous lord either.