The Begining

Clove's POV

"Give me my knife". "if you can reach it you can have it short-stuff". Cato holds my knife above my head and wiggles it around tauntingly. I know I can't reach unless I jump and I won't give him that satisfaction. I won't jump. I won't.

I look up at Cato. He waits with an arrogant smirk that clearly says that he thinks he's invincible. especially to a five year old girl. he's eight. He's also wrong. Faster than he can register what's happening, I kick behind his knees and he's on the ground face down. I pull his arm behind his back and pluck my knife his hand. "thank you" I say sarcastically.

"Whatever just let me up" he's mad or embarrassed. Probably both but that's why this is fun. "no way" I say. "Fine have it your way." he flips under me, my weight not enough to hold him. Then I'm on the ground and he's crushing my lungs. I won't let him see my discomfort. I wait for him to hit me which would seem to be the inevitable consequence of my actions but instead he tilts his head, studying me.

"You're pretty tough" he says. I can't tell if that's a genuine compliment or sarcasm. "really, I'm serious" he says, sensing my confusion. "I mean most people don't fight back when I pick on them and I know me sitting on you has to hurt a little but you're not showing it at all". I decide it's a real compliment. "Do you want to be my friend?" he asks. " you know like be a fighting team and stuff". "Maybe, if you'll get off of me first." I say. "ok. Deal!"