3

She woke up that morning as the sounds of the first azan rang through the air. She prayed for a long time because it was going to be her first day at work, and she needed all the blessings that God could give her. She got ready after breakfast and went to the hospital. Covering her head with a scarf or shawl was normal for her, which was why the hospital's conservative atmosphere didn't feel suffocating. 

She met Dr. Shehzor in the corridor. "How are you? Did anything trouble you in the hospital? Did you like your room? And do you need anything else?" He fired questions at her as soon as he returned her greeting. 

"No, there was no problem at all. There is everything I need in the room, thank you."

He opened his mouth, probably to ask more questions, but fell silent as he saw Dr. Asfandyar coming down the corridor. He was walking with rapid steps in their direction. She too, stood there waiting for him to reach them. 

"Assalam-o-Alaikum!" He shook hands with Dr. Shehzor. Maybe he didn't recognize her, because he didn't even glance in her direction. 

"Assalam-o-Alaikum!" She notified him of her presence loudly. He was busy talking to Dr. Shehroz and started at her greeting. 

"Walaikum-assalam." He replied shortly, looked briefly in her direction, and went back to his conversation. 

They were both busy talking and probably didn't even notice her walking away. Asfandyar was giving a detailed reflection of his stay in Islamabad and Dr. Shehzor was fully absorbed in his words. 

'Everyone else is so nice, kind, and welcoming...but the person I work under is a complete jerk. Things are going to be tough.' She thought as she waited for Dr. Asifa.

As soon as Dr. Asifa had made sure that she was happy in the new surroundings, she started explaining the temperaments and treatment methods of the patients that frequented the hospital. 

The phone rang. "Asfandyar is calling you." She said as she put back the phone receiver. 

~

He was busy talking on the phone. After telling her to have a seat, he returned to his call. With her eyes glued to the table top she waited for it to end. A few minutes later, he put down the phone and she finally raised her eyes to him. 

"Did Dr. Asifa introduce you to everyone?"

"Yes."

"Everything about the patients and the job you have to do will also be explained by her. Of course, as this is the start of your career, you have no experience of working in a hospital. You can discuss any problem you have with all three of us. Work-related or otherwise, feel free to share." He said while spearing her with his serious gaze. Nothing he had said required an answer, and she simply nodded her head in confirmation. 

"I liked your honesty in the interview. But now I want you to view your job as more than just a good salary package. If we begin to feel the pain and hurt of others in our own heart, we will then have finally fulfilled our duty."

She felt a bit embarrassed by his words. Maybe he thought she was just another greedy and money-loving woman. 

"I believe in professionalism," He continued. "If we are professionals then it should be reflected in everything we do. To keep the atmosphere of this hospital like what is should be, I have established a few rules and regulations. I follow them strictly and expect the same from every single member of my staff. The rules are simple. Be punctual and do your work with full dedication and responsibility." Professional and to the point. "Any questions?"

Was the instruction manual finally over? She shook her head in the negative and he continued once again.

"I welcome you to our hospital and  sincerely hope that you will be a valuable addition to our staff." He really knew how to be professional. "You can leave now." 

As she stood up from her chair, she thought for a moment about saying something like 'You will find me to be a very hard-working and responsible person, I shall try my best to not give you any problem, You'll see that hiring me was an excellent choice..." but she remained quiet. Saying such things simply wasn't in her nature. 

~

The next four days proved that whatever Dr. Asfandyar had said to her was memorized to the dot by everyone in the hospital. His name invoked fear in all the workers, and no one dared to go against his sacred rules even in his absence. 

Dr. Asifa was a big help. She guided her and explained each and every thing. They dealt with women frequently. Most women came for the treatments of their children rather than for their own. 

~

She had given her address and phone number to Aunt before coming here just as an afterthought. But when Aunt called her on the sixth day, she was surprised. Aunt worriedly asked Zubia about the environment and the people. Hearing the worry in her voice made her feel safe and loved. She realized that she wasn't alone in this forsaken place; someone back home was praying for her. Aunt was desperate because of her children but she wouldn't leave Zubia alone if anything went wrong. All at once, she felt light and happy. She proudly told Dr. Asifa that her aunt had called. Her pride in self seemed to be replenished. No one could think now that she was unwanted baggage with no home. The weight was suddenly lifted off her chest.