Chapter 6

Disclaimer: I do not own anything related to The Vampire Diaries, TV show or books. However I decided to have a little play around with the characters (I would definitely like to play with Damon).

Damon woke with a start. "Holy shit, I kissed her, and she kissed me back." he cried out as he sat up and took in his surroundings, readjusting to being in his bedroom in the boarding house instead of being outside near the old pond at the edge of the woods, taking a picnic with Elena, where she'd just answered all of their questions, yet to Damon, that paled into insignificance as to what had just happened between them.

"Hello brother." Stefan appeared at the door. "I heard you were awake. You haven't by any chance seen Elena have you?" he asked. "She was missing from school yesterday. As they're both on vervain, I tried a little bit of torture both Ric and Jeremy, but it appears neither of them know where she is. Oddly, they didn't seem too concerned about her whereabouts though." he frowned. "I'm beginning to sense the hand of witches in this. Now I know I can't compel Bonnie, but torture is still an option." he grinned.

Damon flew out of bed and stood in front of Stefan, sizing him up. "Don't you touch a hair on any of their heads." he snarled.

"Ooh, is that a threat? Touchy, but I thought you were in love with my girlfriend." Stefan grinned. "Or are you so pussy whipped that you're now protecting Bonnie as well as Jeremy?" he raised an eyebrow in suspicion. "No, it's something else. Bonnie's placed some kind of protection spell on her, hasn't she?" he guessed.

"You're right brother." Damon admitted. "The only problem is, if you hurt Bonnie, you'll never find her." he grinned. "And then poor Klaus won't be able to make any more hybrids." he pouted in feigned sympathy. "And I bet he'll be real pleased with you for letting her disappear. Now brother, if you'd just move out of my way and let me get dressed, I have things to do and alcohol to drink." he said as he removed his clothes and walked into the shower leaving Stefan to storm out of his bedroom.

Damon switched the shower on, however instead of stepping under the faucet, he wrapped a towel around his waist and vamp-sped into the bedroom and began to search the top drawer of the dresser in his closet. Inside there was a secret compartment where he'd hidden Elena's release key which Bonnie had given to him. In his dream she'd asked whether it was silver or brass. Deep down he knew it was silver, but he wanted to make sure before he text Bonnie to let her know what Elena had told him during their picnic. When he found the key his heart sank, it was silver. He picked up his phone and began to text Bonnie.

Hey Judgy, we have a problem. Just had a message and was told you used the wrong key. I'll explain later. Be round soon. Don't reply to this message, Stefan is sniffing around. Give him a headache for me if he pays you a visit. D

Damon pressed send before deleting the message to ensure Stefan wouldn't be able to read it if he came across Damon's phone. He pulled out some clothes and put the key in one of his jacket pockets before rushing back to have a quick shower. Once he'd finished, he checked to see if the key was still there, but it appeared Stefan hadn't been back to his room. He changed and headed over to Bonnie's, all the while contemplating everything Elena had told him.

When Bonnie opened the door, she didn't even bother to say hello. Damon's message had been slightly cryptic but she had enough to go by for her to consult her grimoires while she was waiting for him to arrive, to see what she could have done wrong. She'd combined a set of spells to give her what she thought was a unique one, but she was beginning to suspect the spell was something else. It had never occurred to Bonnie a time travel spell could exist, but for the first time, she started to suspect it might.