Chapter 1

It was late, and I was grabbing my favorite late-night snack at a nearby gas station. As always I went in and got a large chocolate mocha and two razzberry cheesecake cookies. Right as I turned around I bumped into someone, and my drink splashed all over them. 

"Oh no!" I damn near shouted at the top of my lungs. "I'm so sorry, I didn't see you the-" 

"It's fine." The victim of my mocha accident uttered in a monotonous, yet bold voice. It was a girl, her hair an autumn russet. Her eyes were a remarkable sky blue with a touch of silver, and even though we don't know each other, I felt connected to her almost.

"But I got mocha al-." I was disrupted once again. She grabbed my chin and guided my face to make me look at her That bold voice stirred a warmth in my chest, I mentally shrugged it off and thought it must be guilt. 

"I said it's fine, didn't I?" Her voice was stern with a hint of dominance. ' She's clearly an alpha.' i thought. She made a small advance towards me." I'll get you another one okay, just get some napkins first and clean me off." Her dark expression never changed, and neither did her tone of voice.

"O-of course..." I stuttered in a meek voice. I grabbed some of the napkins behind me from the holder and started to dry her off.

As I dried her off, I marveled at her firm chest either she wore a sports bra, worked out, or both. That familiar warmth in my chest started to grow again.  I must have stopped to stare because she piped up and crooned in what's probably her trademark tone of voice.

"Yes I workout often, so I don't blame you for staring."

I flinched and pulled away, I looked down blushing as red as a tomato, but she grabbed my chin and held my face up to look at it. It was then I realized my uncomfortable position, but only because my knees started to hurt. My discomfort must have started to show on my face because for a second there, she looked worried for me.  She finally let go of my face, and I stood straight up. 

"Sorry if I made you uneasy, I'm not used to flirting with a pretty girl like you." she purred in a flirty voice, whilst winking at me. The charisma in her voice made for a smooth save. She leaned in really close to my ear so close that I could feel her warm breath on my ear.

"Text me, okay." Whilst saying this she slipped a piece of paper into my hand, on it was a wolf. And that was all she said before paying for her candy, beef jerky, coffee, and finally leaving. 

After standing there dumbstruck, I thought to myself.

'What just happened?'

~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I walked onto the art school campus grounds that I'm currently calling my home. I'm a junior at the moment with only one friend and roommate, Alex Blue-jay. They can be male or female, but it depends on the day. I learned the proper term for them is, genderfluid. 

When I first met them, they were pretty bruised up from a fight with a bully. The bully's name was, Chad Brayson. He's the leader of the rap squad and comes from a rich family.

I walked into my dorm building and saw my friend, who is also my roommate. standing by the door

"Hey fam what kinda day is it?" I asked in a cheerful voice."Also, why are you in the hall instead of inside the apartment?"

"Hey Willow, it's a male day so he/him." Alex brushed his blond hair out of his face as he spoke, his eyes sparkled like emeralds. "Also I locked myself out so I stuck by the door until you got back because I didn't want to risk bumping into chad and his groupies." Alex gave a sigh before he mentioned chad. Chad has been bothering him ever since freshmen year, and sadly he knows how to hit without leaving evidence it was him, so the principal can't do anything. Even if he could it would just be swept under the rug because of Chad's father, money can do that.

"Well never fear, for willows here!" I say in a comical voice as I take out my keys.

"My hero, c'mon let's go inside." Alex chuckled

   After I unlock the door, we both go inside right as I hear the unmistakable voice of, you guessed it, Chad.

"Hey, you!" Chad's voice bellowed through the halls, obviously not caring that it was almost 4 am. Alex's eyes went wide with terror as he scrambled to the door and locked it just in time to hear Chad say. "Next time you might not be so lucky, pretty boy!"We literally held our breaths, only exhaling when we heard him stomp away. It felt like we were brother and sister hiding from a drunken abusive father.

"Alex, are you okay?" I asked, my voice sounding like that of a worried mother. Alex looked up with tears in his eyes.

"I'm fine." he murmured in a sullen voice, tear threatening to spill from his emerald eyes.

"Alex look at me." I gently cupped his face in my hands and made him look at me. Not in the same manner as the girl from earlier, but like a mother comforting her child. "Listen to me, okay?" Alex nodded as if he was saying 'okay I'm listening'. "When you're in here, he can't hurt you, our dorm room is a safe haven." I hugged Alex close and stroked his hair, he hugged back whilst burring his face in my shoulder. I nearly started to cry as I felt him shake and my shirt started to become wet with tears. "You're okay, everything is okay."

"Thanks, Willow I don't know what I'd do without you!" He spoke into my shoulder, his words nearly inaudible.

"No problem, you're my best friend ever."

"So, now what?" Alex said as he wiped away a few remaining tears from his face.

"How about I tell you what happened today at the gas station whilst I picked up these." I held up the cookies, and Alex nearly screamed in excitement.

"Oh my god yaaaass, you got them!" His face was lit up like yule tree, and I thought his eyes were going to burst out of their sockets from how wide they were.

"Okay let's get comfortable on the couch, and I'll tell you what happened"

After I told Alex what happened he and showed him proof that the number was indeed on a paper with the wolf included, he shuddered.

"Alex, what's wrong?" I questioned.

"You don't see that the wolf has an angry face like it wants to attack me?" As he questioned me, Alex looked at me like I had two heads. I carefully looked at the card, but instead of an angered wolf face I saw a loving face full of compassion, like a wolf looking at its mate

"No the wolf looks fine to me."

"I must just be tired, c'mon let's go to sleep." Alex stood up and walked towards his room, and I followed his lead. "Night Willow!"

"Good night Alex!" I replied as I walked Into my room next to his. I changed into my hooded pink bunny sleep jumper and started up my oil diffuser. With the scent of lavender in the air, I laid under my blankets, pillows cushioning my head. Right before I went to sleep though, I made a contract for the girl on my phone as ' ALPHA WOLF  <3' since I didn't know her name. "I'll text her in the morning." I thought to myself quietly. I grabbed my stuffed animal from right next to me, it's a pink fox. I curled up in a fetal position and fell asleep.