Prologue

A royal banquet attended by almost all important figures in the Kingdom is currently in a full swing. But, there is an empty space on the Dragon Throne where the Emperor is currently sitting. The Empress is a no-show during this banquet which is a surprise to others as they know that she, without fail, always attend any official functions or banquets as the Empress of their Kingdom. Almost everyone took a pity on her because they knew that the Emperor obviously favours his beloved Imperial Noble Consort more than his Empress. They also know that the Empress is not loved by her own father as well. Such a tragic figure but she always smile a gentle smile and never treats others unkindly.

"Your Highness, where is her highness? She has never been this late to any banquets and functions." One of the ministers asked him with a genuine concern on his face.

Prime Minister Murong continues to sip on his wine as if the one that has been asked about is someone unimportant to him. His family members watch him and continue to enjoy their drinks and food. They too are curious why Empress Murong decided not to show up at this banquet.

Emperor Li look at his Prime Minister before he answers, "If she wanted to come, she will come."

A commotion can suddenly be heard outside the Happiness Hall, everyone looks at the door where the watchmen are standing guards. A maidservant can be seen trying to get into the Hall with a worried look on her face while being held by both watchmen.

"Your Highness! Please let the imperial physician come to Broken Jade Palace to check on Her Highness! Please! I beg of you!" The maidservant shouted as she kowtows on the ground.

Emperor Li then look at his beloved Imperial Noble Consort with an accusing stare, "Beloved, why is it the imperial physician haven't check on the Empress if she is indeed unwell? Are all of them dead?!?!?!?!? Why no one tells me about this?!?!?!?! You there! What happened to your mistress?"

"The maidservant lifted up her head and says, "Your Highness, this servant tried to ask for the Health Bureau to send someone to check on Her Highness for several days now, but no one has come. Her Highness has been bedridden for almost a week now. She even coughed blood earlier this morning. Just now, when this servant checked on her, she has slipped into an unresponsive state."

The usually cold-looking Prime Minister suddenly stands up from his seat. He looks angry when he heard the maidservant's explanation. He then says, "How can the Empress of the Kingdom be treated in such a way? How dare no one from the Health Bureau bother to check on her?"

Some of the attendees snort in disgusts upon seeing how the Emperor and the Prime Minister's reactions. All along, the Emperor and the Prime Minister are the main reason why the Empress has been treated so terribly in the Forbidden City. Those in the Forbidden City will only curry favour with those who are favoured by the Emperor or those with strong family support. The Empress has neither of those. She has been abandoned by her birth mother ever since her birth. She is unloved by both her father and, her husband. Her life is tragic indeed. Those with daughters bow their heads as they thought about the Empress. How can one's life be that tragic?

Emperor Li flips his sleeve in anger and orders, "Immediately instruct the first rank imperial physicians to check on the Empress! Imperial Noble Consort Jing, you will be demoted to a third rank concubine! From this day onwards, you will be living at the Cold Palace to atone for your mistakes for the rest of your life. The First Prince will be raised by Imperial Noble Consort Zhao."

"No! Your Highness, I admit my wrongdoings! Please do not treat me like this! Your Highness!!!" Imperial Noble Consort Jing screamed as she kowtows in front of him.

"Guards! Take her away! The banquet has ended. Everyone can leave!"

Emperor Li then walks out of the Happiness Hall and, without waiting for his palanquin, walk towards the direction of Broken Jade Palace followed by his eunuch, several maidservants, and imperial guards. Prime Minister Murong together with his concubine and children are walking in silence behind the Emperor's group. Once they have arrived at their destination, everyone noticed that though the Broken Jade Palace is impeccably clean, no flowers can be seen and there are no decorations whatsoever in the garden. There are no guards guarding the doors. The maidservants are scurrying in and out from the palace building to the kitchen with tears on their faces.