I woke up and stretched. I quickly went through my fur and I saw that my wound had healed over. I climbed out and looked around. Everyone was at the head of my parents den.

My mother, Wind, padded out to me and whispered in my ear. I nodded and felt my throat tighten. I walked to the. Slate and Rose stood together. Apparently there was no use keeping those two apart. The three yearling females sat together, grieving.

Grace, a black wolf sat on the left with her head bowed. Ginger, a brown gold wolf was in the middle nudging Grace, a black wolf like me, softly and lapping her fur. Moon, a silvery white wolf, lay out stretched staring into the den.

Our father, a large silver wolf, was called Starlight. He was stretched out in the den panting even though the den was cool. I looked at my mother and glanced at him. She nodded.

Reluctantly I walked into the den with my mother. We ducked inside and I went to my father’s side. My mother stood at the entrance blocking us from the yearlings eyes.

He growled in my ear. “I will die soon, Wind will retire the alpha position and you will take over the pack. Your mother will act as the caregiver, babysitter, or any role she wishes. Goodbye, tonight I will leave to the ceremonial geysers to de, the heat will kill me quicker then old age, I am already in pain from the lung disease. Be strong.”

With that I was dismissed from the den and my mother led my father on to the geysers. I was now alpha off a pack of yearlings. The sky turned dark as it turned to night. Until dawn all of u would sit around the den in mourning. We would howl, depending on age the pitch of the howls changed, an alpha died, by law every wolf within hearing distance would howl the loss of a pup or leader.

Our mother would have been cleansed by the ancestral geyser, the biggest and most powerful, the water would wash over her healing her pain.

By dawn all of us were exhausted and we dropped off to sleep one by one.