Part Four : Cabin in the Woods

*A few hours earlier while Sophie and the Witch were still venturing through the dark woods*

"Oh this place is absolutely horrid!" the Witch complained loudly. Sophie found herself, for what had to be the hundredth time in the hour or so since she had left the castle, wishing that she had not agreed to this.

"It's the woods at night," Sophie pointed out. "What did you expect?" The Witch huffed, affronted, but she ceased complaining. For now, anyway.

The trees loomed up around the two travellers, sometimes blocking out the bright moon completely.

It wouldn't have been so bad if they had just had a little light but when Sophie had asked the Witch to conjure one with her powers she had gotten an enthusiastic 'absolutely not'.

According to the Witch of the Waste, lights attracted not only bugs, but bears and all manner of other nasty beasts. Although Sophie was fairly sure her loudly voiced complaints would have attracted all the monsters anyway, she couldn't argue about the bugs. She was sure she'd been bitten by fifty mosquitoes already.

But they probably would have already made it out of the woods if they hadn't been tripping over their own feet every couple of steps. It was so difficult to walk with no idea what you're stepping on. She was just glad the Witch was walking ahead of her. The woman was stomping all of the briars down for her unintentionally.

At this rate they could be wandering in circles and have no idea. The Witch didn't seem too concerned, however. She was just intent to walk aimlessly without light. While complaining. Sophie was really growing tired.

They had walked for a long time and the sun was almost above the horizon. The sky turned to a light grey. It was then that Sophie and the Witch first glimpsed the thin trail of smoke hanging above the trees. "Why, would you look at that. A cabin in the woods. How convenient," the Witch of the Waste hissed, a dangerous smile tugging at her mouth.

"Oh good!" Sophie exclaimed. "I am so sick of walking. I wonder who's home." Although her curse had been broken some time ago, Sophie claimed that her bones were more fragile than they had once been.

She also claimed that she got tired more easily but that may have just been an excuse to get more time to herself while she pretended to nap. A moving castle is a close quarter to live with certain people for an extended period of time.

As the two cleared the last of the trees they found themselves in a large clearing with a wooden cabin standing in the middle. It was a simple, wooden structure; topped with a mossy, shingled roof.

A crow, or perhaps it was a raven, sat atop the peak of the slanting tiles and eyed them curiously. It was merely a silhouette against the backdrop of dark trees but Sophie knew it was there and shuddered all the same. Suddenly she realized that the crow watching them was not alone. There were dozens more, maybe even hundreds, in the trees surrounding them.

Sophie took a moment to wonder if the person who lived in this cabin was a witch as well. Although that might not have been the reason they were here it would certainly be convenient if the Witch of the Waste brought her straight into the home of another wicked witch.

However, even if it was a witch, Sophie had to admit that the cottage was very charming. It wasn't the worst place to be stranded. The two travelers stepped onto the porch.

With an air of high self importance, the Witch knocked on the door. There was silence aside from the soft cawing of the crows perched above them. Despite the chimney smoke, Sophie wondered if it was possible the place was empty.

Then the door opened with a creak and a girl around Sophie's age stood before them, silhouetted by the firelight coming from behind her. "Kiki? Oh, who are you?" she asked, placing a hand on her hip.

"I am the Witch of the Waste and this is my apprentice, Sophie Hatter, I believe," the Witch announced, glancing over at Sophie doubtfully at the last part. Did she not even know my last name? The girl thought in disbelief.

"Well I am Ursula. I thought you might be my witch- her name is Kiki- are you friends of hers?" Ursula directed this at Sophie.

Sophie had never met someone named Kiki, she was quite sure of it. Until recently when Howl swooped out of the sky, she had never met any witches or wizards. "I'm afraid not. We are just passing through. Would it be possible for us to rest here?" she questioned.

There was a lengthy pause as Ursula looked between the Witch of the Waste and Sophie. She did not look as though she trusted the Witch in the least and Sophie did not blame her at all. However she nodded. "Alright. Come inside," invited Ursula.

The Witch instantly stalked in, brushing roughly past their host. She made an unsavory comment about the state of the establishment while Ursula and Sophie made eye contact. "I apologise for her behavior. I do not like her much either," Sophie whispered.

"Don't worry about it," Ursula replied with a small smile. When she closed the door behind them she rested her hand on Sophie's shoulder encouragingly. Sophie found it more comforting than she had thought it would be, considering she had just met Ursula.

Howl popped into her head but she shoved him to the side. She was not going to worry about him right now. After all, he hadn't even bothered to come after her! Why should she care.