Silence

Betty:

I was sitting alone. But it wasn't the bad kind of alone. It was the comforting kind. The kind kind where you allow the world to swallow you up in nothingness and you just sit there happily.

My feet had been dangling off the edge of the pier for quite sometime now. I normally came here after a bad dream pranced through my head, this time was different. Coming here always calms me down, listening to the waves lapping against the distant shore and the far away sound of the road behind me.

I heard the faintest sound of feet stepping against the wooden dock, but I wasn't afraid. Instead I inhaled a deep breath and leaned back on my hands.

The person sat down beside me. Their presence wasn't awkward nor comforting. It was just there. Like I was.

I knew who it was. He was often here when I came. We'd gotten used to each other just being there. I found out his name was Jughead Jones and he comes here not for bad dreams—usually—but for issues back home.

"Let me guess. You had a dream about being with your crush and woke up sweating to the horrible truth?" He said softly. I found his demeanor oddly soothing.

"Actually, I came here for some self-reflection." I replied just as softly as him.

He seemed to know what I meant.

"Sometimes..." I continued, "I feel so lost its like trying to find stars during the day. One moment everything feels so right and the next its all so utterly wrong I find myself rethinking everything and I just need to be alone."

"Would you like me to leave?" His question was not uncaring about what I'd just confessed, but rather extremely thoughtful and considerate.

"Your presence doesn't bother me, unlike most people in this God forsaken town." I deadpanned. I saw a smile grow on his face. For someone so reserved, every little thing he did mattered. That's what I liked about him.

I blushed. He probably couldn't see though. Moonlight always makes someone's face appear washed out.

We sat in silence for a little while longer before he began to speak.

"My mom..." he began, hurt he was trying to hide was laced in his voice, "and sister left only and hour ago. They're not coming back." His voice was so quiet I could barely make out his words. They were spoken slowly, as if it would make them come back home.

I didn't say anything. Instead, I held out my arms, offering a hug. He didn't need pity or sorries. I knew that from my experience with my neighbor Archie.

He looked at them warily before tucking his head into my shoulder. Not moments after I began to hear silent sobbing over the waves. We stayed like that for who knows how long, but the sky overhead had significantly changed.  I had begun to think he'd fallen asleep before his head turned to watch the sunlight peeking over the horizon.

"Thank you." He breathed, his head still on my shoulder. The few hairs escaping his grey crown beanie tickled my neck and sent butterflies in my stomach, but I focused on the rising sun with a slight smile.

I may not be able to put his family back together, but I can be a rock for him to lean on.

After all, he understands me better than anyone. And I only have to say a few words. He understands the unspoken. I like that about him as well.

We watched the sunrise together. A new experience because neither of us stayed here all night long before. Nonetheless it was just as pleasing, if not more.

Afterwards I forced him to a nearby gas station and bought him something to drink and eat because I knew he'd be dehydrated after all that crying, hungry as well. I mean if I was, he must be.