Chapter Two: The Arrival of Guests

A week after his arrival, Master Frodo awakened from a deep sleep. Earlier that week, Gandalf had arrived, along with Frodo's Hobbit friends with Aragorn, who they knew as Strider. Aragorn was Arwen's lover, and I worried about her. Last night, I had seen her give her Evenstar to him. Without it, she might fall very ill.

These worries were soon forgotten though, all due to the hobbits. I had come to know each of them and found them to be delightful company.

Samwise Gamgee, or Sam, often asked me about the plants here at Rivendell, then he'd tell me of the plants in the Shire. He'd ask about ancient stories, about wars and how many I was apart of, I'd then tell him some things are best kept a secret.

Meriadoc and Peregrin, or just Merry and Pippin for short, were quite a duo, full of energy and questions. Of course, I had received the responsibility of keeping them out of trouble, something that was nearly impossible.

When Frodo awoke that week, I had made sure the hobbits were ready for him. I guided them to a patio near his room, with the three of them questioning me the whole way. I didn't answer, at least until Frodo came out.

The hobbits were overjoyed at their reunion, cheering and hugging each other in surprise. I stood away from the group of four, slightly smiling. Hobbits were such interesting creatures.

When all of their hugging and greeting was finished, Frodo turned to me with wide eyes. I suppose I looked rather odd for an elf. I had grey eyes, like my father, but they weren't as wise, they were more curious than anything. But the most startling thing, even to other elves, is my hair, pure silver to the roots, exactly like my mother's. My skin was pale and fair, like Arwen's. I looked a lot like her, actually. The hair is the only difference.

"I am Lady Astora, daughter of Lord Elrond." I said to him, introducing myself, "I'm glad to see that you're awake, Master Frodo. How is your shoulder?"

"Fine, thank you." He answered with wide eyes. I suppose silver-haired elves aren't something a Hobbit sees every day.

"I am glad to hear it, Master Frodo. I trust you'll be attending the council later today?"

"Of course, will you?"

"I hope so. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must visit a friend of mine." I gave the Hobbit's a little curtsy and walked off. The friend who I insisted on visiting wasn't an elf, but a beautiful mare. We've been together ever since I had learned to ride, elven horses were given long lives as well.

Her name was Mala. She was a beautiful mare with a coat the color of pure gold, and her mane the color of fresh snow. She was not one of the Mearas, but she was just as magical to me.

Whenever I wasn't riding her, she stayed in the stables. It's been a while since I've ridden her, and a visit is long overdue. When I entered the stables, I went immediately to the back, where Mala's stall was located.

"Greetings, nin mellon." I spoke in the more common elvish language, Sindarin, to Mala as I stroked her mane. There were many forms of elvish, but I preferred to speak Sindarin.

Your visit is long overdue, Astora. Not many horses could speak the language of Sindarin and the Common Tongue, but Mala was an exception. She was born and raised in Rivendell, with me as her rider. She has been given many years to learn it with me.

"I am sorry, time slips away from me." I apologized, fetching a brush from nearby. I began to brush out her mane and coat, the steady rhythms of the strokes lulling me into a placid state.

Halfway from finishing, the sound of horses walking into the stables caught my attention. I peeked out of Mala's stall to see Woodland elves entering with their horses. They must have come for the meeting.