Chapter 1: Prologue

Keith rarely took business trips and when he did it was somewhere landlocked. It wasn't that he didn't like the water he just preferred to be on drylands, like the desert or the mountains.

This particular trip was given to him by the company CEO and he couldn't refuse it. It was a three night trip to Cardenas, Cuba to negotiate with the country's government on their policy regarding the company he worked for, the Altean Agency. Cuba became very secretive after they became a safe haven for fair folk, vampires, merrow, witches, banshees, and the occasional rare selkie.

Altea wanted to expand their reach further than their four towers and put one in Varadero. Since the company focused on medical advancement, they wanted to set up a medical facility as a sign of goodwill first. Their ulterior motive was to learn more about the new species living there.

As one-fifth of team V, Keith was only sent out when it was really necessary. But before we continue this story, you need to know about Keith's team.

Within the agency, there was an elite team of five people who were able to do more than others. Coran Hyde led their team as the head of the team and Vice CEO. He managed all specific details about the team's missions. Allura Altea inherited the company from her father but mostly acted as CEO and had incredible skills in negotiations and microbiology prowess. She was rather straightforward about everything, hiding her sense of humor under a poker face.

Takashi Shirogane was hired after his time in the military which left him scared and missing an arm. He was not only head of security but considered a safe person that many employees went to instead of HR. He took Keith under his wing and parented all members of team V. He kept people from blowing things up and reminded them to go home once work was over.

Hunk Garrett and Katie Holt were snatched fresh out of college as a biochemical engineer and a technical engineer. Hunk was an excellent teammate and always looked out for everyone normally only asked for in engineering emergencies. Katie, affectionately called Pidge, was a young technology prodigy who constantly created innovative ways to advance medicine with help from Allura and Hunk.

Keith was a former college dropout who joined the company through security but had a talent for everything he tried. Shiro reached out to him and had him trained for the company in negotiation, business, and accounting.

Anyway, back to Cardenas... Keith was sent out to convince the government to allow a medical facility to be built for the city in question. Day one of negotiating went relatively quick and left Keith feeling hopeful for the situation.

Leaving the office where the negotiations took place, he stood and stretched his arm over his head. Staring at the purple hue that was taking over the sky, he sighed.

"Man, why didn't I come here sooner." He murmured to himself.

In all honesty, it was beautiful. The country had advanced so much it seemed alien to any visitors. Once decimated cities became bustling with people who flourished. The air was clean and crisp. It really was a haven for all who came. For Keith, it was an escape from it all, the noise, the questions, the looks.

Now all he wanted was to sleep until the next day or maybe next week. Nothing irked him as much as negotiations.

He hailed a cab and got in.

"Where to?"

"Iberostar, please," Keith asked before sitting back in his seat.

The driver raised a single eyebrow but nodded and the car started to move.

•••