Chapter 5 | The Blue Eyed King

~

"Maya... Maya... Maya!" Lace gets my attention by waving her hand in my face.

"What?" I say.

"What's got you so happy today?" She asks. I look up at Dalton, at another table in the lunch room. Sina's sitting next to him, and he's staring right at me.

I look away. "Nothing." I say. I don't want to spoil the moment. At least not yet. Jake then comes gives me a peck on the cheek, and plops down next to me.

"What's up?" He asks.
"Not much." I say looking down.
He doesn't say anything, but I can tell he's suspicious.
When the bell rings, I hastily pick up my books, and scurry out the door. Suddenly, a hand grabs me from behind. I whip my head around to meet a pair of blue eyes.
Dalton.
"Hey." He says.
I notice his hand is still on my arm, and I brush it off.

"Hey..."

"Meet me by my locker after school?" He asks.
"I assume, you will be taking me to the park." I say playfully.
He nods.
"Sure. I'll see you then."
I walk away, his blue eyes watching me go.
What is with him today?
At the end of the day I head over to his locker, but there is no sign of him. I look around the crowd of teens, but I can't find him anywhere.
"You ready?" A voice asks, startling me.
I drop my book, and turn around to see Dalton.
"God, you scared me!" I say, as he picks up my book.
I try and reach for it, but he turns away.
"Anne of Green Gables, by Lucy Maud Montgomery." He says reading the cover of my book, smirking.
Damn him.
I snatch the book back.
"Yeah." I say, blushing. "It's a classic."
He chuckles.
He walks with me outside and he leads me to an old looking pickup truck.
"Nice truck." I say, grinning.
He grins, patting the hood of the truck. "Yeah, she's old, but she'll run."
I climb into the front seat and he climbs in as well.

On the way, I watch the scenery go by. The trees are all sorts of colors, and the leaves look like they have all different sorts of patterns.

We eventually pull up to a wide enclosed area, which I'm guessing is the park. There is a playground and a bushy forest, shading the area. Dalton gets out of the car and I before I can open the door, he is there in a flash, opening it for me.

Cliché, right?

We walk around on the sidewalk, and children are playing everywhere.
Neither of us say anything, and the silence is peaceful, but awkward.
"Are you gonna answer my question?" I finally say, breaking the silence.
"What's your question?" He asks.
"What's up with you today?" I say. "You're so... out of character."
"Out of character?" He asks, smirking.
I nod, "Yeah, I thought your girlfriend gets jealous, Mr. Popular." I tease. He chuckles.

"Let's not talk about her." he says.

I can't object to that. I hate the topic of Sina.

Maybe Dalton isn't so bad.

"Look." He says. "The reason I asked you here was to get to know you. And I haven't stopped thinking about your singing at Light's."

I stop. "You haven't told anyone- have you?"

He puts his hands up in mock defense. "No! Of course not! I respect your privacy."

I smile. "Thank you."

We walk around the park talking. We talk about normal stuff, and he makes me laugh every so often. I find out that he plays guitar and sings, and he's not the man whore I thought he was.
"So what's your favorite TV show?" He asks.
"Um, well..." I mumble. "I don't really watch TV."
"No." He says in disbelief. When he realizes I'm not kidding, his eyes widen.
"You don't watch TV?!" He says it like it's the most uncommon thing in the world.
I shake my head.
"What the heck is wrong with you?!" He says in mock horror.
I just laugh and roll my eyes.
"Well, I'm more of a book person."
I say.
"What, ever." He says.
Then we pass a huge rock, and he stops.
"Hold on a sec." He says.
I wonder what he's doing as he climbs up and stands on top of it. He sticks his arms straight up.
"I AM THE KING OF THE WORLD!!" He shouts, and I start to laugh.
"Dalton!" I say giggling, "Get down!"
He smiles.

He's kind of cute.

Wait, what?

Stop it, I scold myself.
He gets down from the rock and we continue our walk. Eventually we stop, and I hop into his truck.
I honestly had a great time. About seven minutes later he pulls up by my street.
I am about to get out when he asks,
"So are you coming to Light's today?"

"Good." He says. "See you there."
"See you there." I repeat. Then he drives away.