Prologue

With every baby that is brought into the world, a soul that possessed the necessary purity and worthiness during its time on Earth is summoned and given the means to travel between the two realms.

These blessed souls are given wings that are feathered the purest white and span as wide as a mythed dragon. From that moment on they are deemed angels--guardian angels--and are tasked to guide those to which they are bound through life; they must protect them from the malice of the living.

There is only one known tainted soul to ever recieve angel wings.

That angel is known to the mortal world as Ashton Irwin.

The actions he performed to protect those that could not protect themselves colored his soul a stormy gray, but he was given the wings anyways, for he was a true protector of the innocent.

~~~

Do you, Ashton Fletcher Irwin, swear to put forth everything in your power to protect whomever I assign to your side?

I do.

Do you swear to abide by the Guardian Code, and upon failure to do so, surrender your wings to the wrath of my hand?

I do.

Then by the power invested in me, I grant you your wings. Bask in the glory of spiritual freedom!

From this moment forward I assign you to a young Adeline White, whose destiny now lies in your able hands.

Take good fortune with you to Earth, my son... and do not disappoint me...