04. Tell me about it

I watch Steve as he stands there he looks around before something catches his eyes in the vending machine

I watch Steve as he stands there he looks around before something catches his eyes in the vending machine. I watch him as he places the flash drive into the vending machine. He nods to me before turning and walking toward the Strike team. I stand for a few more seconds looking around before taking a deep breath and leaving the hallway with a heavy heart.

The next day I made my way to S.H.I.E.L.D headquarters to go through Nick's personal items. Maria who had been kind enough to meet me met me right outside the door of the building. She guided me up the stairs I had walked many times and through the hallways only this time it was different. This time I wasn't going to open the door and see my godson. This time I wasn't going to get the snarky comments from him that he recoiled after my glares. This time was different and it hurt to think about it. When I opened the door to the office to see the effects placed around. I sighed walking toward the wall that had a few pictures.

I laughed lightly looking at the one from when Nick had graduated high school. He stood tall in his cap and gown, the same shit-eating smirk upon his lips. His mother, Melissa, stood on his left and me on his right. It wasn't long after his father had passed so it was me and Melissa who was my best friend. Melissa leaned on me in that time and it was really when Nick and I bonded. It was when I had the chance to teach him about what life was like. That the heartbreak of losing his father wouldn't be the only pain he faces in his life but he should use that pain to move forward.

I go through the office before I figured that all of the "personal" items in the room weren't personal. Sure there were a few pictures but nothing that he would've kept. I took the photo of us from the wall before folding it and placing it in my pocket. That was the only thing I really wanted from this office. I sighed taking one last look around the big office and shutting the door softly. I started to make my way through the hallway when I saw Steve.

"Hey," I said catching up to the angered man. He nodded as a greeting.

"What are you doing here?" He asks

"Came to go through Nick's personal items," I say "There weren't many, now I am going to head out, what about you?" I asked

"I had a meeting with Pierce, something is off about him," I snort

"Tell me about it," I say as we enter the elevator.

"Operations control," Steve says as I also mumble out a meek ground floor. The elevator beeps and before the doors close the same Strike agent enters with a few other men.

"Strike personal on sight," He says he eyes us but looks away quickly before saying "Forensics," I listen to the elevator beep again. The guy speaks out to Steve "Cap," Steve turns quickly to turn to him.

"Rumlow," he greets

"Evidence response found some fibers on the roof they want us to see, do want me to get the tact team ready?" Rumlow asks

"No let us see what it is first," Steve orders I watch but look away again as the elevator moves lower and lower. Rumlow agrees, looking forward again. I eye these men suspiciously when Steve nudges me looking discreetly down at one of the Strike team members who had his hand over his weapon. I furrow my brows but quickly unscrew my face to stop them from noticing that we noticed. The elevator beeps again and some men with briefcases walk in saying where they were heading too. Cap stepped forward grabbing my wrist pulling me forward as well.

"I'm sorry about what happened to Fury, it's messed up," He says looking at me than Steve I nod softly.

"Thank you," Steve says nodding as well. I continue surveying the elevator quietly. I notice the sweat dripping down on person's forehead. The shaky fingers of another's hands. The elevator stops once more and 3 more men enter. They eye us before turning and doing the same dance of stating a floor they were heading too. I look around again, they were caging us in the middle of the elevator. Everywhere we looked someone was stood facing the opposite direction to offset us. The elevator doors close and it starts moving down. "Before we get started does anyone want to get out?" He asks looking around. No one makes a move for a split second before it starts.

I hear the buzzing of an electric stick and the man in front of us turns trying to shove it into Steve's stomach. Steve jumps back. I take this moment grabbing the guy closes to me and punching him. He falls my strength putting him down quickly. I fell arms wrap around my neck and something pin my wrist to the elevator. I kick my feet up wrapping my legs around a guys waist. I twist my body causing the item pinning my wrist to the elevator to snap. With my now free wrists break my fall when I fall to the floor with the man who I had wrapped my legs around. I heard a snap almost positive I had broken his ribs maybe his spine. I then use my spot on the floor to kick the guy who had his arms around my throat to the floor. I stood kicking him causing the glass to crack but not shatter.

I look over to Steve who had men on the floor. One of the wrists still attached the elevator. I gripped one of the men holding him and smashing his head against the doors creating a large dent and he fell to the floor. There were few men left and Rumlow went for Steve. I went to intervene when I felt a rod into my side.