25

After the flurry of the first dance, Virginia had sat on the sidelines to get a drink, standing next to Catherine, who had found Alexa. Quinn came with her when he saw that Alexa had come to the dance with Darren Joyce, one of the other football players. Alexa was dressed in a lime-green, short dress that puffed out like a triangle around her waist, the color complimenting her tan skin and the cut showing off her lovely figure. She looked delighted beneath her mask that matched her dress as she clung to the arm of her new accessory. Apparently, she had forgotten all about her adoration of Tate Connelly.

"You two were great out there," remarked Catherine, indicating to Quinn and Virginia.

"You really were," agreed Alexa.

"You guys should really get out there and dance again. We were all so impressed." Catherine shot her best friend a look. She was getting at something bigger here, and it made Virginia a little uncomfortable.

"Why don't you come dance with me?" Quinn suggested to Catherine. "Rather than berate Virginia."

She narrowed her eyes at him. "Fine, I will, but when I step on your feet, it'll be your own fault."

He laughed. "I can't imagine you are that bad."

"You've been warned," shrugged Catherine as she took his hand and he pulled her out to the middle.

Virginia took another sip of punch. Catherine had talked about how badly she danced before, but Virginia was curious to see if Quinn's talents would rub off on his partner. They didn't. She danced badly, but she laughed the whole time as Quinn spun her around and lifted her up. Catherine was a small person, light as feather, but then, Quinn could have thrown anyone around like that. Virginia chewed her lip absent-mindedly as she watched them spin around and she didn't even notice Greyson approaching her.

"There you are," Greyson's words pulled her eyes to him.

"Oh hey," she smiled.

"Come on," he held out his hand. "Let's dance."

She agreed and they walked out, not far from Quinn and Catherine.

"Where's Brenna?" asked Virginia.

"She met up with some friends," he shrugged. "I don't really like her friends."

"But you like her," Virginia's words were stuck somewhere between a question and a comment.

Greyson smiled down at her. He wasn't as tall as Quinn, but he was still taller than her by several inches, and his blue eyes bored holes into her skull.

"I do like her," he nodded.

Virginia looked away. "What are you doing with her, then?"

"I'm having fun," he grabbed her chin and pulled her face to look at him again. "That's what I do."

"But why her?" Virginia felt as though she were biting back tears, which shocked her. "She's been through so much, and it's my fault, but you were involved too. I mean, her brother's—"

"Stop talking, Virginia," he hissed. "I thought it was safe for you to know about it because I thought you were strong enough to shut up and not make this harder. I already had to fix Catherine, I can do the same thing to you."

"Well you didn't fix her very well," she spat back. "Because Catherine had another nightmare last night."

They had stopped dancing and were now just staring at each other.