29

from her window, as Virginia stood there dressed only in a towel, watching the pair walk back to the field. Grabbing her phone, she scrolled through her contacts. Greyson's name passed before she found Quinn's.

When you're done with practice, will you come up?

She shed her towel and dressed in a pair of black skinny jeans and a gold tank top. As she twisted her hair into a braid, she stared at the cut on her lip and the blood that was beginning to pool into a bruise under her eye. Poking at it, she frowned.

"Hey," said Catherine as she stepped into the room.

"Oh hi," smiled Virginia as she grabbed out her makeup. "Where did you go?"

"I went and talked to Greyson and Quinn," shrugged Catherine. "I was a little worried about you."

Virginia wasn't sure if she was flattered or offended that Catherine had gone to them. "And are you still worried?"

Catherine laughed a little. "Ginny, I'm always worried. I love you."

She smiled. "I love you too."

"Good, now bring it in," Catherine held out her arms.

Setting aside her makeup brush, Virginia reached out and hugged her dearest friend.

"Okay, now I'm going to find Alexa and study. We have a math test Monday," she held Virginia at arm's length. "What are you doing with your day?"

"I have a paper to write," Virginia looked into Catherine's eyes and lied. She felt bad, but she didn't want Catherine to know what she actually had planned for the day. It would only worry her more.

"Well good luck," Catherine shrugged, grabbing her backpack off her floor and slinging it on her back.

Then her phone buzzed. Quinn answered.

Let me shower and then I'll be there.

Virginia walked over to her bookshelf and pulled out the old volume. Tossing it down on her desk, she sat down in the chair and opened the old-looking pages. Running her fingers over the calligraphy, Virginia tried to decipher the letters, but without success. She expected that as she'd never been able to read them before. Still it exasperated her. Giving up on the pages, Virginia went back to the mirror and finished her makeup before the knock on the door came. Throwing it open, Quinn was standing on the other side, damp haired and smelling like soap.

"Hey," she stepped back so he could come inside.

"What's up?" he asked, then stopped abruptly. He pressed her chin up slightly with his hand gently against her skin, tilting her face toward the light. "I'm sorry I only got to kill that bastard twice."

Virginia laughed slightly. "Thanks."

His thumb slid over the cut on her lip. "Dammit."

"It's okay," she shrugged. "It barely hurts."

"You're too tough for your own good," he dropped his hand and cleared his throat. "So is there something in particular you wanted?"

"Yes, actually," she took a deep breath. "This."

She walked over to her desk and gestured toward the book. He let out a low, long whistle.