Flour

Mom and I went to grocery store together to buy toiletries and canned goods for next week and I've been contemplating whether to ask her to buy the ingredients for the cake for me

I've never talked with Kim Taehyung after I met him. I've learned that he's a sunbae but I don't really care. I see him around at the library or the canteen during lunch but I never bother to ask him to divide the ingredients we need to bring for the next meeting.

I knew he's not interested and wouldn't bring any of it anyway so I thought I shouldn't bother myself asking.

However, the ingredients weren't cheap at all. I was pushing the cart, following mom around with a piece of paper in my hand where all the ingredients I needed were listed.

All brows furrowed and lower lip curled to a pout, I checked the list again. By now, I already memorized it but I still can't find the courage to ask my mom. Not that she'd get mad but, I know she had a budget and I'm to ashamed to ask her for these.

Aside from looking after the apartment complex, she's also currently looking for a part-time job to which auntie had agreed to since it would help support my schooling.

"What's that, hon?" She asked which had startled me. I pulled my chin up and saw her walking towards me with two cans of cornedbeef at hand.

This is my chance to ask her, but instead of answering immediately, I bit my lip and sighed.

"What is it?" She asks again, closing in to me.

"I need something mom... but, these are a bit pricey..." I muttered sheepishly, looking down at the list once again.

"What is it?" She asked, peeking at the piece of paper in my hand.

"I need these for club activity next week, Tuesday." I answered, sighing out loud.

"I know it's out of our budget but..." I trailed off, sighing again.

"We can try to fit it in our budget." She said. I immediately looked at her with a full pout on and hugged her tightly. My heart hurts whenever I ask her for something. I know she's been working really hard for me.

"We'll get by, honey. I promise. Trust me." She whispered, hands caressing the arm that's tightly wrapped around her.

I need to find a job as soon as possible to help her.

"Now, go get all you need. Leave the cart to me." She added. I immediately kiss her cheek and let go of her then run off to the nearest basket counter then towards the baking needs aisle.

However, upon reaching the area, I stopped on my tracks when I saw someone I never wanted to see.

Kim Taehyung... crouching down with a basket beside him, checking a bag of flour.

He turned his head and his gaze fell on my form that's  just standing at the end if this aisle. He stood up and flashed a half smile, "Here for the ingredients?" He asked.

"Yes." I answered quickly without smiling back and immediately broke my eye contact with him, turning it towards the display stand, looking for a cheap baking powder.

"Listen, Chaeyoung-ssi..." he started, getting my attention. "... we started off bad. Now, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way, but I'm down in proving you wrong. If you think I'm a jerk, well... I'm not. I just didn't like the club because, there's not one soul of a guy there, plus, we own a coffeeshop and our club mostly does baking... I already know how to bake."

"Really, all the club does is baking?" I asked, leaving out everything he said prior to the club activity but I feel happy that he apologized. Tho, there's really nothing to apologize for. I just didn't like how arrogant he sounded that day.

I may also have been wrong in assuming his personality. Well, he still have to prove himself...

"Uhm yeah, the teacher does have a bakery..." he replied.

"Okay. So, wanna divide these between the two of us so I can save my money?" I asked, smiling and holding up the list in front of him.

"Sure... so, is it safe to say we're good now?" He asked.

"Yeap. Uhm, so what we'll we be buying?" I answered amd asked. He smiled and then took the list from me. However, he was picking all the ingredients that were more expensive. When I asked him why, he said he prefers the quality and does not mind the price which had me assumed that he's rich. Tho, he may be right with the quality since he said they own a coffee shop. But I talked him out and ended up picking the cheap stuff.

After taking all that we need, we searched for my mom and saw her at the toiletries section. She was a bit surprised to see me with a guy but I introduced him as a club member and we're partners for the next club activity. He bowed in courtesy and my mom asked him to take care of me and apologize if I'd be an inconvenience at times.

Mom gave me her wallet so Taehyung and I could pay. After paying, he volunteered to take it all home so I wouldn't have to bring anything at Tuesday.

It's a bit chivalrous of him and it's really convenient for me so I thanked him and bowed, smiling sincerely with his offer.

He bowed as well but did not take his eyes off me and smiled, "I don't wanna sound like I'm trying to flirt but... has anyone told you you have a really pretty smile?" He asked.

"You sounded like you're trying to flirt." I chuckled.

"Well, if I do, do I have a chance?" He teased.

"No. My boyfriend and oppa will kick your ass." I replied followed by a brief laughter.

"Oh, I got friendzone within 5 seconds. Ouch." He said, grabbing his chest and acted as if he's been shot.

"I've heard of your brother among the girls back school. He became really popular just by appearing once." He added which had me thinking.  Is it safe to deny that Chanyeol's really not my brother?

"Can I tell you a secret?" I asked.

"Eh? Uhm? Sure... okay? Do you trust me that fast?"

"No." I giggled. "But you seemed trustworthy. You told me you want to prove yourself, right?"

"Yeah... okay. Sure. Fire away."

"He's not really my brother. He's just looking out for me." I stated, recalling that after lunch with with oppa at school thay day, the whispering in our class whenever I participate and recite during class discussions has decreased. A few girls jad already asked me about him except Ji Yeon who I think is embarrassed to ask me.

"Really? The girls in my year are planning to talk to you about him. Anyway, I'm not gonna tell anyone so your secret's safe." He replied  showing off a boxy smile I've never seen before.

"You have a weird smile." I teased followed by soft chuckles.

"Yeah but, girls like it." He retorted, wiggling his defined eyebrows.

"I'm sure they're unable to resist." I rolled my eyes and shook my head, feeling a bit embarrassed of his silliness. "I need to go back to my mom."

"Yeah, I'll see you in school." We bid each other goodbye, waving then went back inside the grocery to find mom.

I feel happy at the thought that I just made a friend. I haven't apologize for assuming he's a jerk, tho I don't think I need to since we've already made up. It'll be awkward to bring it up.

But in case we'll be able to look back to that day, I'll definitely apologize again.