8

Ashton had come over to my place the following day, and I welcomed his company eagerly since I was feeling much better after resting. We sat together in the living room, sipping on hot chocolate, a comforting warmth filling the quiet between us.

"So what's up? You don't usually come over without informing me beforehand," I teased, setting down my mug.

"It's kind of stupid, really," Ashton began, his expression a mix of uncertainty and excitement.

"Just get it over with, Ash. I swear I won't judge you, no matter how stupid it is." I encouraged him, genuinely curious about what was on his mind.

"I met this girl... and she's perfect. You won't understand, okay? We clicked so well from the moment we met a few weeks ago, and we've been talking every day. It's just so much fun around her. I really, really like her, but I have no idea how to tell her because it feels a bit too soon. So what do I do?"

"Do you think she feels the same about you?" I asked gently, trying to gauge his thoughts.

"I don't know, Lacey, and that's the problem. But hear me out. What if I introduce you guys, and you become best friends, and you could ask her if she likes me?" Ashton blurted out his plan eagerly, looking hopeful yet unsure.

I chuckled softly. "I think there are better ways, Ash. Why don't you just tell her? What's the worst that could happen?"

"She could reject me, and we stop talking forever, and just like that, I would've lost my soul mate," he lamented dramatically, his expression serious.

"You're being dramatic. Do you have any other plans?" I asked, trying to steer him toward a more practical approach.

Ashton shook his head, looking defeated. We fell into a thoughtful silence, contemplating how to navigate this budding romance without risking too much too soon.

Suddenly, Ashton broke the silence with another idea. "Okay, so it's not a foolproof plan, obviously, and it's basically not even confessing or asking her out on a date. But what if I introduce her to you and Aiden? Like, you know, you guys could meet her, and then she would feel closer to me, and we could hang out much more than before, and just like that, the perfect love story begins! Oh, and she's new to the city, so it would be nice for her to get to know some of ya'll!" He exclaimed, his eyes bright with enthusiasm.

I smiled at his excitement. "Maybe that could work. She would feel involved with us, and maybe that can help you get closer."

"So, when do you want us to meet her?" I asked, already knowing the answer.

Ashton grinned widely. "What about Saturday?"

I nodded in agreement. "Great! I can't wait to meet her. She sounds amazing!" And he proceeded to gush about her for the next two hours.

***

My stomach growled between the movie we were watching, reminding us it was late evening and we hadn't eaten since afternoon. We decided to grab a quick bite at a nearby fast-food restaurant. We ordered burgers and fries, eagerly awaiting our food and continuing our conversation.

As we chatted, I noticed Aiden walking into the restaurant with another girl. "Is that Aiden? What's he doing with her?" Ashton asked aloud, looking confused.

"Do you know her?" I asked curiously, trying to gauge Ashton's reaction.

"His ex. Well, they broke up not too long ago. I thought he stopped hanging out with her, though. Weird. Anyway, back to the topic at hand," Ashton brushed off the distraction.

His ex.

Someone he dated.

Someone he still hangs out with.

Does he still like her?

"Lacey?" Ashton's voice brought me out of my thoughts as he waved a hand in front of my face. "You good?" I simply nodded, refocusing on the food already set before us. I began to eat absentmindedly, my mind still lingering on Aiden's unexpected appearance.

"Oh, right! I need to ask Aiden if he's free on Saturday," Ashton suddenly said, abruptly standing up from his chair and walking toward Aiden and his ex's table.

They talked for a while. Aiden glanced at me, our eyes meeting briefly, before he turned back to the conversation as if he hadn't seen me. Shortly after, he left with the girl.

Ashton returned to our table, and I couldn't help but ask, "What was that about?"

"He just left after I told him you were here too. Anyway, he agreed to come on Saturday. You better not forget about it," Ashton said, his tone half-joking, half-serious.

"Of course I won't forget," I assured him, though my mind was preoccupied with thoughts of Aiden and his ex.

***

Finally, the day arrived when I was to meet Ashton's amazing crush—his words, not mine. Aiden had texted me that afternoon, confirming he would pick me up at 6, and by 5:30, I was ready. I wore something casual yet presentable, wanting to make a good impression on Ashton's crush. At least for now.

The doorbell echoed through the house, and I jumped up from the couch where I had been waiting anxiously. He was early. I opened the door and greeted Aiden warmly.

"Just give me a minute. I need to put on my shoes," I said, hurriedly rummaging through the shoe cabinet, searching for the right pair.

"Take your time. We aren't in a hurry, are we?" Aiden replied calmly.

I settled on a pair of black Converse that matched my black shorts and top. I grabbed my sling bag and threw on a beanie before heading out. I sat in the passenger seat of his car, and we set off to the restaurant in relative silence, the radio providing a soft background of music.

"You look good," Aiden complimented me casually as we drove.

"This is how I usually look, Aiden, but thanks," I chuckled nervously.

"Exactly. You always look good," he said warmly, his gaze briefly meeting mine.

I nodded in response, too stunned to reply.

The car ride continued in a comfortable quiet, interrupted only by occasional small talk and the music playing softly on the radio.