1

How long had it been? A month? Two months? I couldn't remember anymore. It might have been longer, and yet seeing him still hurt.

I thought we would last forever, but who would've known that "forever" meant just two years to him?

He was everything to me, the person who made me want to look forward to another day. He gave me hope even though we hadn't known each other for long. And yet, after all those reassuring words, the comfort, the love, he shattered the fragile hope I had built.

It was agony watching him do the same things with another girl that he used to do with me. It hurt to see them hug, kiss, and hold hands, knowing I had lost my chance to be her. The person who meant the world to me now meant the same to someone else.

***

"Good evening. May I take your order?" the waitress asked, snapping me out of my thoughts. I finally averted my eyes from my ex and ordered a cappuccino and a cheese sandwich.

Maybe I should have left as soon as they entered the café, but I was here first and I wasn't going to let them bother me. Who cared if they were all over each other? Not me. I was just going to enjoy my coffee, ignore their presence, and leave. Simple enough.

But, of course, the universe had other plans for my day.

"Lacey?"

"Aiden?" I said, feigning surprise. "Hi. I didn't see you there." I let out an awkward chuckle.

"Hey," he greeted back. "What are you doing here?"

"Getting coffee. What else would I be in a café for?" I chuckled again.

"It's just that you don't live nearby, so I was surprised to see you here."

"It's been months since we last spoke, Aiden. A lot has changed."

"You're right," he hesitated before continuing, "if you don't mind, why don't we catch—" My coffee and sandwich arrived, interrupting whatever he was going to say.

"If you don't mind..." I hoped he would leave now that my food was here, but he stayed.

"Babe. Aiden." His girlfriend's voice rang out as she approached, wrapping her hands around his arm. "Is she your friend? I've never seen her before—Oh, never mind, I have," she smirked. "Hi, Lacey. Of course, you remember me? Aiden's girlfriend." She stressed the last word and threw a knowing smile at me.

"Yes, Maddie," I spat. "Of course, I remember you." I smiled back mockingly and shook her hand.

"Wow, he rarely ever talks about you anymore. Weren't you guys like best friends?"

"Yeah, we haven't talked since we graduated." We were literally dating, but okay.

"That's too bad. However, we have a busy schedule, so we need to leave now. I would love to let you guys catch up and reminisce about the old days, but we really have to get back. We have a wedding to plan. Ours. You should come! I'll send you the invitation, just leave your phone number with me. See you at the wedding." And with that, they left the café, hand in hand, leaving me stunned at the information I had just heard.

What hurts more than a breakup? When your ex, who claimed to love you, dates your high school bully even though they knew exactly what she had done to you.

——————————————————————

First chapter up!

Hope you liked it <3