Lobster Luck

Jenny met them at the counter. "Jasper Clayson, take that wretched child out of here!" she exclaimed. "The Deck has standards."

"Such as?"

"We don't serve homeless people in bathrobes. Plus, that tramp steals garbage."

"Cut her a break, Jen. The kid was headed to sea in Alfred's hulk. I saved her life."

"You prove, once again, that Abenaki is an island of dingbats." She motioned toward a corner booth. "Sit where the boss can't see her. I'll bring some messed-up sandwiches."

"Did you buy more minutes?" Brittany asked.

She turned away.

Safe in his booth, Jasper said, "Spit it out, kid. How'd you cob the boat?"

"I'll tell only if you'll get my sister," she said.

"I saved your life, and you're looking for more?"

"I'm not trying to be a brat," Brittany wailed. "I'll tell the whole story. I'd even cut your hair, if I had my scissors. But Dee disappeared, Mom ran away, and Alfred wants to send us all to Davy Jones's locker. You've got to stop him!"

"So the boogeyman's after you, and I'm your savior?"

Wham! A tall African-American girl with winding, waist-length braids approached from behind, then punched him.

"Leave that child alone!" she ordered.

"L'orphelin," her friend added. The girl had pink hair and a nose ring, and spoke with a thick French accent.

"I've cut her tons of breaks today." Jasper counted on his fingers. "Saved her life, sailed her to shore, ordered her food..."

"Jasper, you are a conceited jerk," the first girl said. "Do you want a presidential medal of honor?" She touched Brittany's shoulder. "Don't cry. I'm Brianna. Skye and I will be your friends, even if this creep won't."

"She looks like she's been in un combat de chat," Skye said. "Poor dear."

"Cat fight," Brianna translated. "Don't you have a mama?"

"Another for your mere to adopt, Jasper."

"Maggie wouldn't have to fly abroad."

"Cut it out, guys. Mom's done adopting." He kicked Brittany. "Spill it, kid."

The child picked at her scorched onion rings.

"I'm not an orphan," she said. "My little sister and I are staying with an old lady on Abenaki. Opal Mildred. Our mom ran away, and we need a phone to get help." She gazed at Jenny, who was cleaning the next table.

"Her mobile doesn't hold a charge," Jasper said.

"Skye has minutes," Brianna said. "Oui?"

The pink-haired girl pursed her lips, then pulled a shiny blue-and-white card from her wallet.

Jasper whistled. "A credit card!"

"It's a phone card, to call gradparets in Quebec." She clenched it with both hands.

"Well?" Brianna said. "Are you going to help the orphan, or will you spend those minutes on a male who isn't un gradparet?"