Chapter 10

With only 58 seconds left on the clock, Shoeshine and Krypto had taken off into the sky as Underdog and Superdog, ready for action and to save the day.

The two super dogs flew up to the top of the capitol building over where Polly and Molly were with their continuous, desperate cries for help. 

"Help me! Please, help! Somebody, help me! Help!" Molly cried out desperately, struggling to break free from being tied up. 

Underdog and Superdog quickly freed Molly and came back around to take care of the bomb. 

"Underdog. Superdog" Molly gasped in relief, seeing the two super canines.  

"Uh, yeah, how many other flying dogs in red sweaters and capes do you know?" Underdog asked with a hint of sarcasm, landing in front of the girls with his mentor by his side.  

"Underdog, I just knew you would come" Polly said, looking to the beagle. 

"Quick, there's not much time" Underdog told Molly and Polly. "Take the vial to the police" 

"You got it" Molly said, taking the vial with the mind control serum off the bomb and quickly left with Polly to get to safety.  

"Don't drop it" Underdog warned her. 

Underdog then turned to Superdog, who nodded at him. Implying to Underdog that his mentor was letting him take the lead on this one at saving the entire city. Underdog took the bomb in his mouth and quickly flew down to an open field near the park, followed by Superdog. 

"Look!" one woman from the crowd pointed up in the sky.  "It's Underdog!" 

"And Superdog too!" Another man added. 

Underdog landed down in the field with the bomb in his mouth and started digging. The crowd had quickly gathered around the open field while the police kept everyone back at a safe distance.  

"Come on, Underdog. Come on, Krypto" Kali, the twins, Jack, and their parents hoped and prayed. It was becoming a rather intense moment for everyone. 

Krypto helped Shoeshine dig the deepest hole and longest tunnel no dog had ever done while the bomb continued counting down. They soon placed the bomb down in a spot deep enough, then quickly started making their way out.   

But as the dogs were halfway out, the bomb had gone off and they got caught up in the explosion, launching them into space as the crowd watched in shock. 

Krypto managed to regain himself and was okay just as they had left the atmosphere but Shoeshine was unconscious, having been hit hard from the blast. Krypto guided the unconscious beagle back into orbit as they began falling back down to earth, incandescenting light around them like falling meteors.  

"Look, up there" one of the citizens spotted the dogs falling back down to earth.  

Krypto was able to restrain himself from moving out of control and landed down safely in the field by the crowd. But Shoeshine unfortunately didn't make it out like Superdog and crashed down in the field at a distance, causing a huge explosion.  

The whole crowd rushed to the scene were Underdog had crashed. Jack, Kali, Krypto and their families came over in great shock and grief as Underdog appeared to be dead.  

"Oh, God" Jack picked up the lifeless Underdog and started sobbing as Dan came over to comfort him. 

"Dad" Jack continued sobbing, having lost his dog and friend. 

Krypto hung his head in sadness, having lost his apprentice and a great friend. 

"Oh, Krypto..." Kali hugged the white lab in comfort while the twins cried into their parents shoulders.