Chapter 2

One of the most basic commands there were to teach a pet, "Watch me." Owen instructed while standing across Milo's bed by the staircase. He had been struggling with training their pug. It seemed no one had told him that the breed wasn't quite obedient, on the contrary; it was extremely stubborn — guess that made all three of them have something in common.

Milo the pug had been living with Owen and Claire for a couple of weeks now. He had his head resting on his soft bed cushion, his two front paws resting over the edge. He couldn't be bothered by the man standing there.

"Hey! Eyes on me." Owen said firmly, putting two of his fingers out, trying to have the dog's attention on him.

Milo only wiggled the wrinkles in his forehead at the sound of his master's voice. At least that meant he wasn't deaf. His round dark eyes looking away from him, they looked distracted lost in his own world. The dog released some air through his nose - it almost sounded like a sigh, one out of boredom at that.

Owen had a few of his favorite treats in the front pocket of his cargo shorts. Milo had really tiny teeth, so they were the soft kind. His teeth were so small that a bite from him felt more like a pinch.

"Milo!" Owen kept insisting with no luck. He slowly reached for his pocket and took out his old clicker. Maybe the sound of it would catch the dog's attention? It worked on his raptors, so why wouldn't it work on a dog? So far nothing did, he had tried bribe him with treats which he figured was the key to his heart. The couple had learned by now that their adorable puppy had a big appetite.

The man clicked a few times, he could tell Milo was taking the sound since he shifted his ear. The sound was new to him and he was getting familiar, but nothing that could get his attention for longer than a second.

Owen's eyes finally saw some hope, watching Milo stand up and gasp anxiously. The puppy stepped out of his bed and started limping over to Owen.

That wasn't the command he had given him, but it was at least something... some sort of progress, he figured. Owen was proud his oh so hard work was starting to pay off.

Seconds later, the sound of Claire's heels were also audible to Owen's ear. She was finally home after a long day of work. Figured, the dog had just gotten close to Owen so he could greet his human mommy first.

The redhead smiled, "Hey, baby!" She greeted and walked over. She stopped just a couple of inches away from Owen whom already had his lips pursed ready for his usual kiss.

Claire went past him and kneeled down, making sure to hold Milo close while he wagged his butt and licked all her face thrilled to see her. Her arms holding him from his torso, helping him with his weight so he could get closer to her and show her with wet licks how much he had missed her.

She had learned by now that the panting and the excitement he was showing took a few minutes to settle down. It was the same after they went for a walk. Claire had also learned how to pick him up in her arms so his weight wouldn't get tiring too fast.

The redhead held the chubby puppy close to her chest and stood straight, finally paying attention to her boyfriend. "Hi" She finally leaned close to peck his lips, but Milo was not having it and stole those poked out lips licking them first himself.

"Hey, get your own girl." Owen lightly pushed the puppy's head away and kept his hand blocking him so he could greet his girlfriend.

"How was your day?" She smiled lovingly. "Did you get anything done with this little monster?" She wondered. She walked back to Milo's bed and set him down on it.

"Nope." He sighed defeated.

"Here you go, buddy." She made sure he was comfortable. "Did you give him his med?" Claire looked back, hopping Owen hadn't forgotten.