10 - Firkle

I sit in my room, on the floor, in front of the fan; my fan. It's a small fan--but I have a small body, so it gets the job done.

     The white noise is calming, and it always has been to me, so I'm not playing any music behind it.

     Sometimes I wonder why. Why everything is the way it is, why I'm the way I am, why my dad is the way he is, why Ike is the way he is, and why everyone else is the way they are. I've thought for a while now that the answers to all of these are subjective.

     My phone buzzes, and then it buzzes again, and again. A phone call. I should have put it on silent before I sat down in front of my fan.

     I begrudgingly stand up, going over to my bed and picking up my phone, reading the caller ID. My finger is hovering over the decline button, but the ID makes me not want to hit it. After a couple seconds of arguing with myself, I press answer, and put the phone to my ear.

     "Do you want to come over?"

     Ike knows I don't like small talk, so he gets straight to the point whenever he calls me. I like that.

      I look at my fan, and weigh out my choices. I could stay here in the white noise paradise, or, I could potentially have everything feel right again.

     "Okay," I tell him. "I'll be over in ten minutes." My eyes go to my clock, it's six past five. "At 5:16."

     He laughs quietly, and something inside of me explodes. Maybe it's an artery, maybe it's nothing, but I'm pretty sure it's happened before. I can't remember when, though. "Alright, see you then," He says.

     "Yeah," I say, before quickly hanging up. I have exactly 9 minutes at this point, so I hurry up out of the door.

     When I get to his door, it's 5:15, so I feel obligated to wait a minute.

// 342 words.

i'm really happy this story is enjoyed, because i like where it's going so far. :)//