Captive prt. 1

Chapter 30

Edited

I woke up with a throbbing headache, the buzzing noise in my ear spread a aching pulse to vibrate my head. I blinked. The room was a carousel, spinning and blurry and out of my control.

Where the fuck am I?

"Kory?" I recognized the husky tone.

I picked up my head, meeting familiar blue eyes. He was tied up, the chains holding him to the ceiling above us leaking steam and water. Bruises were all over his face, arms, and bare torso; only given a pair of jeans it seemed he had been here for days; tortured.

"Vitaly," I whispered. "What are you doing here? Where are we?"

"Erik," he groaned, shifting to stand better. "He had his goons bash me up. Bring me here after leaving Igor's beachfront house. We're in the Vault. I'm so sorry, Kory."

"What do you have to be sorry for? You didn't do this to me."

"No," he coughed, then groaned again when pain struck him. "He has Nina."

My blood went cold. "What?"

"He broke into the house. Your father was shot. It wasn't serious. The others managed to get away. I got a hold of Konstantin before they took us. He can tell Maksim and the others."

My thoughts brought me back. Maksim. I didn't know if he was alive or dead. The last I knew I was upside down, and the darkness was unstoppable.

"I wouldn't be so sure," I said.

"Why?"

"Maksim followed us to Igor's beach house. He wanted to take me back. Igor was planning for us to leave. I don't know where, just that he said 'Home'. The next Erik was there. He and more than seven guys surrounded us, and Igor told me I have a sister. That my parents didn't lose the baby."

Vitaly looked shocked. "I was told the baby was a boy. Not female."

"You knew too?"

Vitaly appeared guilty. "Konstantin told me. That's why I came back. I knew Angelo's plan to finding out who you are. And how he was going to use Maksim. But we thought the other child to be dead."

"My parents lied. She was my twin. Igor had her abducted in the nursery before they got to see her. He said he'd been there for me. I was the oldest; I could have taken the throne and destroyed the Mafia from the inside."

"That's how Boris came across Gemini."

"Gemini?"

Wait, I heard that name before.

"My father mentioned that name to Igor when we first met. Why is that name so important?"

"It's not just any name. Fuck!" Vitaly was becoming angrier.

"What? What is it?"

"Gemini is a code name. I've heard of her before. She's a special kind of assassin. She's done a lot of dirty work for Igor. I've never met her. Only heard from others."

"She's an assassin?"

Vitaly nodded. "Among other things." He coughed, spitting up blood. "Igor specialized her to excel all things. Thievery. Seduction. Trade of Hands. Your sister wasn't raised like you. All she knows is what Igor taught her."

"Maybe we can help her. Get her to see those things are bad."

I had to have hope. This was my sister. My twin. Family was family, and there was no way - no matter if I knew her or not - I was going to turn my back on her.