Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1:

FLASHBACK:

For several minutes the only sound audible in the car was the voices of the Artic Monkeys singing Do I Wanna Know? Gosh I love that song. I can't start the day without listening to it at least twice. I was singing along with the radio while my mother, Annie, stared at me with those warm brown eyes of hers and with an oblique but sweet smile etched on her lips.

"Becca" she said with a tired from the journey voice "Close your eyes and try to sleep, we have approximately one hour until we reach home and I must be very tired. I will wake you up when we arrive so you can help me carry our suitcases" she continued and then turned her face at the dark rode. I didn't answer as I was really exhausted. Actually we were both exhausted, but my mum was trying her best not show it. I closed my eyes and put my best not to fall asleep. I didn't want in any way to go home and be too sleepy to help her carry the luggage inside.

We had just come back from Italy. We spent all our summer there as a gift for my excellent grades at school. Unfortunately all the good things have an end, thus today was the last day of summer meaning we needed to come back from that amazing trip and return to the boring daily routine that contains studying, studying , and guess what ... more studying! Not that I complain about it because this studying filled my completely empty days. I was a strait A student and I always try my hardest at school. Call me nerd, but this is who I am. I think that's the main reason for not having friends at all. Not that I want to. I'm perfectly fine myself and I don't need anyone except my mum.

Yeah I know that you rarely find a sixteen-year-old girl that lives in America that adores studying and has fun doing it and her only friend she has is her mum! I suppose that I am the only one in the planet that has a taste like this. But I'm ok with that 'cause this is what makes me stand out from the rest of the people. I have my own personality and yeah I am proud of my old-fashioned clothes and taste in music. Today normally all the teenagers will be at some rich guy's house to celebrate the end of the holidays, drinking alcohol from red plastic cups, so typical, getting drunk, playing silly games that usually end up with them kissing each other which then leads to the upstairs bedrooms. I told you its so typical, not that I have ever been to one of those parties.

We were living in Loveland, Colorado, a small city where everyone knows about everyone. I couldn't wait to get away and start a brand new life in my dream place, London! My mum's sister, Mary, was living there and the idea of moving there was really enticing. My room was covered in Big Ben's posters and I was addicted to English accent. The main reason though I craved to go there were the new people I would meet and maybe the new friendships I would made. However, I was a bit anxious about the whole transportation thing because although I hate it I was used to this closed society and the thought of going somewhere where no one knows you was frightening me.

I opened my eyes again, fighting the weariness that was trying to overcome me and leaned my face on the window watching the passing cars, my thoughts drifting in tomorrow. I couldn't help but feel the nervousness that was threatening to suffocate me. I know I said I don't really care what people think but it still hurt seeing students back away from me like I had a disease or something and laughing at my appearance. Many nights had passed with me crying in my bed with a Nutella and a box of tissues beside me. Sometimes I just think that all of us need to hate someone, but that someone why should be me? I can't get it at all! I couldn't understand why they were so mean to me, and still are, when I hadn't done them anything that would cause so much hatred. Hatred. That is heavy word to describe the situation. I don't know if it is exactly hatred but I can't find a better way to describe it so I'll choose this.