Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

FLASHBACK:

Pain. That’s the only thing I feel. It’s everywhere. In my head, at my hands, everywhere. I think I hear people shouting around me incoherently and I want to tell them to stop but I just can’t form the words. It’s like I am paralyzed to anything but the unbearable pain. I can’t think of anything else. But suddenly I feel a stink at my hand and the pain immediately subsides. I feel like I am floating or better flying in darkness. Where am I? Am I dead? What happened? These questions keep repeating in my head but I am so tired that I don’t have the energy to even think. And then I am falling, I close my eyes shut afraid as I keep falling into the darkness of my consciousness.

**

    “Do you think she will ever wake up? It’s been three days already” a dry voice said

     “You have to give her time, it’s a miracle that she still lives. She hit her head pretty bad.” Another voice answered.

As they continue their conversation I try to wake up. Three days, Ithought slowly. All my thoughts and memories ran as thickly as blood or honey. I have to wake up. But I couldn’t. The dreams held me, one after the other, a river of images that bore me along like leaf tossed in a current. I saw my mother smiling at me, her eyes holding all the love in the world. I saw our car in the dark rode and then the… nothing.

    My eyelids felt as if they had been sewed shut. I imagined I could feel tearing skin as I peeled them slowly open and blinked for the first time in three days. I saw clear white above me. Am I dead? I wondered. Could heaven actually look like this? I squeezed my eyes shut and opened them again: This time I realized that what I was staring at was a white painted ceiling.

    There was a high wailing noise, rising in pitch like the scream of a terrified child. I can see now myself lying in a hospital bed with a spine chilling stillness. I look around terrified and spot the two, obvious, doctors standing near me and checking some weird machine. I try to lift from the bed but I felt like my body weighs one tone so I fall back with a defeating sigh.

     The doctors snap their head towards me looking utterly surprised.

“You are awake” says the one with the rough voice. Well duh, I think, but don’t answer to them. “I am Doctor Simon” he continues and I nod, not really caring about his name.

 “Where is my mum? Is she alright? What happened?” I say with a rather high voice, the nervousness from before starting to rise inside me.

“Your mum is alright, she wasn’t injured. You on the other hand were in a bad condition” and then he continues telling some thinks that I don’t hear because the only thing I think is that my mum is alright. I sigh with relief, feeling instantly much better.

“When am I going to be able to go home?” I interrupt him with eagerness.

“Well we have to check you and if everything is fine, I think tomorrow you can go home”

“Okay. Is my mum here? Can I see her please?”

“Yeah she is outside I will call her and then I will leave you two have some time alone” he sighed probably irritated by my rude behavior.

When they got out of the room I tried to sit more comfortable on the bed with no luck. My head was pounding, like someone was playing drums inside it, and I really wanted to scream from frustration right now. I starred at the room hoping that I can somehow distract myself from the pain. The only color is white. I always wonder why hospitals are so white. Purple, my favorite color by the way, would suit much better. While I am still pondering on the hospitals’ color I hear the door open. I turn my head and watch my mum as she hesitantly enters the room. She looks really tired and anxious and the black circles are prominent under her eyes. When she looks at me though, she smiles genially and engulfs me in a bone breaking hug.