Chapter 3

Ruby's POV
"Dad is it true? Tell me it's not true" I sobbed into his chest.

But I knew deep down it had to be.

Why else would police be going in and out of our home? And why else would paparazzi be swarming the yard?

And why else would dad have called me home from school?

I looked up at my dad's tear-stained face. His eyes were red and puffy.

"Mr. Martin, can we ask you some questions?" One of the policeman asked, approaching us.

I wanted to scream at him. Can't they give a man a moment with his daughter?

"I need to talk to my daughter first," my dad said. I could tell he wanted to yell, but he said it gently. That was my dad. Always patient.

Can't relate.

He lead me over to the couch and we sat in the living room.

His eyes filled with tears. "Sweetie this isn't easy to say. It's true. Mom was found dead this morning," he said.

I'd figured that out by now, and let tears silently roll down my cheeks as he took a breath and continued.

"We were supposed to spend the day together today. She had an early morning interview, and I was going to work for a couple of hours then come home, pick her up, and go out," he said through tears.

He took a deep breath then continued. "Today TJ came to pick her up. He knocked and knocked on the door, and she didn't answer. He got worried and came inside."

TJ is my moms manager. He's practically family.

"He- he called her name over and over. He found her in her room laying on the floor. She was already gone. A bottle of pills lay next to her," my dads voice broke.

"A drug overdose??! That can't be true!!" I said, sobbing.

He shrugged. "They'll do an autopsy to be sure but... there was no signs of anything otherwise."

I shook my head in disbelief.

One of the cops had been sitting there listening, writing things down.

"Mr Martin, is it okay if I ask some questions now? Both of you?" He asked.

I squinted to see his name tag. Richard Daniels.

My dad sighed, wiping his eyes. "Yeah. Yeah sure."

I wiped my eyes too, trying to regain composure.

Richard smiled at me. He wasn't that much younger than my dad, probably in his mid thirties.

"Hi Ruby. I'm so sorry about your mom. I know this isn't gonna be easy, but I need to ask you some questions."

I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to breathe. "Okay."

He leaned forward, looking me in the eye. "Was your mom a happy person?"

I nodded. "Always. I rarely saw her sad. Even when the media trashed her, she laughed it off and said 'they have nothing better to do.' She never let anyone get her down."

Richard nodded, writing things down. He then looked me in the eyes again. "I'm gonna need you to answer this truthfully. Would you ever at all even slightly thought she was suicidal or even considered it?"

I locked eyes with him, then tears streamed down my face. I firmly said, "No."

He swallowed, choking back some of his own tears, then nodded. "Ok. Thank you. That's all I need to know."