Chapter 5

Ruby's POV
It's been two weeks since my mom's funeral.

It still hurts just as bad and thinks don't make sense. I don't think it'll ever make sense to me and I wish I knew why my mom felt like she had to kill herself. But I would never know.

The paparazzi had finally moved on with their lives and stopped gathering in our front yard, although I can barely go to the grocery store without getting my picture taken or someone following me.

I'm worried about my dad. I've never seen him so depressed. I mean I can't blame him, but I just wish I could see him smile again.

Riley and I are currently sitting in the front row of the Maroon 5 concert.

Adam had gotten Riley and I front seat tickets and backstage passes. He's been super sweet the last couple weeks and trying to do his best to cheer me up. Him and his wife have had my dad and I over a couple times whenever we needed to get out of the house and they've just been great.

"You sang on stage with him once right?" Riley asked me as we waited for the show to start.

I smiled at the memory. "Years ago. We sang Payphone. It's my favorite song by them. He and my mom has been planning it all along. I'd thought I was just going to their concert cause my mom and him were friends."

"That's so cool. Didn't the video go viral?"

"Yeah. Especially cause that was after my mom decided to keep me out of the media, so it was like they finally had a video of me doing something."

"People get so obsessed with celebrities and their families instead of worrying about their own family. It's insane," Riley said, rolling her eyes.

Before I could respond, the music for Just Like You came on and the lights went out.

A second later they came back on and the band was now on stage.

Everyone stood up and cheered as Adam began to sing.

Riley and I sang along as loud as we could.

It was great to forget everything that's happened in the last couple weeks and just have fun with my best friend, acting like nothing's wrong.

*
Its during intermission, Riley and I are hanging out backstage.

"Are you gonna sing Payphone?" I asked Adam.

He shook his head. "Not tonight. We're trying to promote our new album so we had to cut out some of our old ones. Sorry,  I know that's your favorite," he said, wrapping a friendly arm around my shoulders.

I sighed. "I guess I can forgive you," I said teasingly.

Before he could say anything, Riley ran over to us, practically bouncing up and down.

"What??" I asked her laughing.

Riley gets excited about everything. And I mean everything. So whatever she's excited about could literally be nothing.

"Guess. who. just... slide in my dms!!" She said dramatically.

I laughed. "Riley, nobody says that anymore."

"Yeah. I'm 40 and even I knew that," Adam said with a grin.

Riley rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Anyways, Drew Ramos messaged me. Him and the other guys wanna hang out with us."

"Whoa whoa whoa. What 'guys'?" Adam asked, acting like a protective dad.

"A boy band. Ruby has a crush on the rapper," Riley announced.