The reaping in District Ten

It was a bright and sunny day in district ten on the day of the reaping. It was a cruel reminder of how the Capitol viewed the Hunger Games, and how most districts didnt feel the same.

I looked up at the stage in time to see a tan skinned woman dressed in a gaudy gold dress and gem studded crown stomp up onto thenstage towards the reaping balls.

She was out district representative, Elsie Batsworthy. She stomped over to the girl's reaping ball with a scowl. I couldnt help but smirk, seeing as I was the bane of Elsie's existence.

I was caught hiding some extra game i had hunted illegally, by Elsie the busybdy of course. She had reported me but my reputation as a goody-2-shoes saved me once again. People started calling Elsie "Batty Batsworthy",because the idea of me misbehaving was completely outrageous.

Ever since then, Elsie had been dying to get me reaped.

Those past few years I had gotten lucky, but this year I had a bad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

I watched as Elsie slammed her hand angrily into the glass ball, a little too angrily. The ball wobbled and then fell to the ground, smashing to pieces, scattering the little paper death sentences everywhere.

Elsie looked down at her snakeskin boot and picked up a slip that had landed at her feet. She unfolded it and smiled smugly.

She scanned the crowd and locked eyes with me and her smile widened. My stomach twisted in anxiety. It twisted once again as Elsie practically skipped up to the microphone.

That was when I saw Elsie Batsworthy truly smile, not just smirk, for the first time. "Dylan Brooks".

When she spoke my name, it hit me like a brick. I heard whispers of "oh, poor girl" and lots of tut- tutting, then I stopped hearing anything at all.

My head started to spin,then I whirled around then collapsed, my head banging against

I vaguely remember seeing Elsie walk over to the boy's reaping ball, but I didn't hear the name she called, because right then, I passed out.